Early Chevrolet General Jumbo wheels & hubcaps

1 Raggedy Ride

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, George Albright said:

Can someone help me. I can’t simply figure out what these wheels and hubcaps go to? Google 1932 Chevy wheels and caps. Nothing even similar. Please chime in or email me. Thanks George albright. Gnalbright@gmail.com

George,   From the "Coat of Arms" insignia, in the center of the hubcap, and "The General" script above it, is was the trademark, of the   General Tire Co.... I am not sure when this trademark was introduced,  but these are the first full wheel covers, that I have  ever seen, for the General Tire Co.  It's my guess, that these wheels & hubcaps, could have have been introduced around 1930, or a little after... The only identifying stamping on the wheel, is: CHEVROLET, in the outer bolt hole areal....  Now, to make things a little more difficult to figure out,  there were numerous car manufactures, with only certain models, that the wheels had  6 holes, with a     5 1/2" center to center  bolt pattern, made in the  U.S. & Canada.  These wheels being for 14" tires, and 6 5/8" tire width, is where it's I am not sure, of who made the wheels and when....   In 1932, The General Tire Co. along with the Cleveland Welding Co., started making wheels (rib type, rather than a solid or spoke), and with a smaller hubcap, with the General Tire Co. logo...On the wheel, they had a 3 digit code,  a year, mfg. name of the Clev-Weld Co., and patent. pend. They began with wheel tire size was 16", with the tire  width of 4 1/2", and in 1933, they went to 15", with the early ones being 6 1/4" and the latter being 6 5/8" ,  in 1934 and beyond , they went to 14"....  I can only conclude, that the General Tire Co., changed wheel & hubcap manufactures, before 1932...  If anyone has any photos, advertisements, of these wheels, I sure would like to get a copy, if possible... And if anyone can add to what I have said,  or correct what I have said, I would appreciate that also... What I have said here, is only what I have observed, over the last few years....            

106_2954.JPG