WTB Split Rims

autoluke

The best way to tell what rim you have is to measure the circumference of the bead area.  63" is a 20" rim, 66" is a 21" rim, and 69 1/2" is a 22" rim.  Just divide the length by PI (3.14).   The width is the widest width, shown in the drawing above as A.

IMG_3710.thumb.JPG.409228991e236449ba2af54136bb8fd5.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi Autoluke, there seems to be some confusion with your description.

You say you are looking for split rims with a double internal ridge. Then you also say you need the retaining rings?? 

Split rims look like the one shown by Hubert above, but they don't have retaining rings.

Trucks use a rim that has a retaining ring (a Big circlip).

From your description, it sounds like you are needing 20 inch split rims with a 4 inch width measured at A as per drawing above. I understand what you mean, when you say it has double internal ridges, these normally had a slight ridge at the rear and a slightly more pronounced one at the front. The ridges are there for the split rim to fit against the felloe.

Autoluke, I would suggest you advise  what car do you need these rims for, because there are so many types of rims, all are 20 inch, but different manufacturers supplied different auto makers.

1928 and 1929 Chev  used 20in rims, without the double inside ridges, but the 28 and 29 can vary in width.

My 1928 Chrysler 4 had 20in rims with a very small inner ridge and a "stepped" 1/4in ridge on the outer.

I now have a 26 Chrysler G70 with 20in rims that look virtually identical in X section to the 29 Chev ones, but they are not interchangeable.

Some split rims come with the wheel clamp lugs attached others do not.

I  have spent many years trying to make up sets of rims and you will be surprised at the variety out there.

So it is important to know what car you need them for. I think a posting for rims for your specific car is more likely to find what you need. Pictures would also help.

Best regards

Viv.

Viv

My car is a speedster which was built sometime during the 1020's, so it is difficult to actually identify the chassis.

A friend has stated that the wooden spoke wheels appear to be from a Studebaker, but he is not certain.

I have replaced two of the old tires with US Royal 6:00/20  which fit well on the surviving rims.

Of special note is that the old tires were actually marked as "truck tires", so that your circlip comment would be appropriate to their design.

As mentioned earlier, I will be visiting Hershey next week in the hope of finding a pair.

Phil