1924-41 models side window "level"?

Leif Holmberg

Leif, here are a couple of photos of the rear window 'locks' that are like the ones in my 1922 Model 48.  I picked these up on eBay several years for next to nothing because the seller did not know what they were or what they fit.  I still haven't got them all figured out yet.  On my car the strap comes up through the bottom window trim piece.  I believe the strap runs between the glass and the shoe with the spring behind it.  When the glass is all the way up the lock turns out and holds the bottom side of the glass channel?  Like I have told several guys after I have shown them to them, I haven't got these things all figured out yet either.  How about you - what is your thoughts about these parts?

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

P9180087.JPG

P9180088.JPG

Terry,Hard to say,but it could be for a rear side window?

Pictures of the bracket inside the upholstey,and the rear side windows can only go down around 10" becuse of the shelf just ower the inner fender.

Leif in Sweden.

IMG_2157.JPG

IMG_2156.JPG

IMG_2157.JPG

Edited by Leif Holmberg (see edit history)

My first thought is that the slot is for a strap that would be attached to the bottom of  a window shade that when the strap is pulled out the shade would come up from the door and cover the window.  When released the shade would go down into the door.  The knob above the slot would be used to lock the shade in place.

Are there any channels in the door that would indicate a window shade?

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

Good afternoon all - the strap on our 23-6-48 is attached to the bottom of the window metal guard,  and follows the window up and  out through on the inside - the strap then goes down into the slot of the wooden molding - I just repaired one of ours, there is no window regulator on the rear only a retractable stop type mechanism that allows the window to be held up when closed (turning the  knob allows the window to drop down) note it free falls so ya gotta hold on to the strap - to close you pull the strap up, and hide the rest of the strap down the slot then tighten the knob - the pics that Terry shows (hi Terry) are the same as ours

• Like 1

Well, Jim, since you have been into the body cavity beneath the closed window, what is the purpose of the arm or shoe that has the spring behind it?  That surely doesn't come into contact with the glass.  Like I said, I still haven't got this contraption all figured out yet.

Terry Wiegand

Out in HOT Doo Dah

Hi Terry - the arm/shoe is retracted when you turn the knob to drop the window - it only contacts the bottom of the metal guard that houses the glass, it doesn't touch the glass, when you want to close the window pull up on the strap to seat the glass then tighten the knob - you will feel it close the window as the arm/shoe closes - the spring acts like a tensioner to tighten and release the shoe - the window is either open fully or closed fully - by that I mean there is no partial opening of it as there is with a window regulator/crank

This is my take on it - not an expert thou

Jim