My 25 cyllinder head project has begun

carmover

I did a compression test and found zero compression on number one and number five cyllinder.After doing a leakdown test there was 100% leakdown on both of these cyllinders.The results shows number one intake valve and number five exhaust valves.You can see in the pictures just how bad the valves were.The head has been sent to the head shop for a total rebuild.They tell me that the head itself is in great shape and will build up perfectly.Egge is making me a set of valve guides and is supplying all of the new valves and springs also.I don''t know how it was even running and this is why it has never ran right since I bought it.

1925 Buick Cyllinder Head 001.JPG

1925 Buick Cyllinder Head 002.JPG

1925 Buick Cyllinder Head 003.JPG

1925 Buick Cyllinder Head 004.JPG

1925 Buick Cyllinder Head 005.JPG

1925 Buick Cyllinder Head 006.JPG

1925 Buick Cyllinder Head 007.JPG

1925 Buick Cyllinder Head 008.JPG

1925 Buick Cyllinder Head 009.JPG

1925 Buick Cyllinder Head 010.JPG

1925 Buick Cyllinder Head 011.JPG

1925 Buick Cyllinder Head 012.JPG

1925 Buick Cyllinder Head 013.JPG

1925 Buick Cyllinder Head 014.JPG

1925 Buick Cyllinder Head 015.JPG

cyllinder head project 25 Buick 001.JPG

cyllinder head project 25 Buick 002.JPG

cyllinder head project 25 Buick 003.JPG

cyllinder head project 25 Buick 004.JPG

cyllinder head project 25 Buick 005.JPG

cyllinder head project 25 Buick 006.JPG

cyllinder head project 25 Buick 007.JPG

cyllinder head project 25 Buick 008.JPG

cyllinder head project 25 Buick 009.JPG

Edited by carmover
Corections (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The valve guides are worn out and all the valve stems are badly worn .I have ordered all new valves and springs and I'm having all new guides made by Egge Machine.All of the cyllinders check out ok with no wear showing at the top .The leakdown Test showed no leakage of any of the rings.I am in the process of getting all of the carbon off to get ready for the rebuilt head.I am also dropping the oil pan and cleaning the pan and oil pump strainer.

• Like 1

Poor engine has had a hard life. Now would be a great time to remove freeze plugs and remove all scale in the water jackets and passages. I bet there is a coffee cup of scale behind #6 cylinder. Dig and flush all the scale and debris out now. If the welds seep a little, a tiny bit of stop leak will seal it off.

Edited by raydurr (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Carmover

I'm curious how you can do a leakdown test on the two cylinders with the burned out valves? Did you pull the manifold and seal of the the ports? Or are you just extrapolating the testing of  the 4 cylinders with good valves to the two bad ones?

Is that a 2525A?

Brad

Brad, I did a compression test first and found zero compression on number 1 and 5 cyllinders.I then did a leakdown test on all of the cyllinders and got good results on all of the other cyllinders  however the leakdown test showed a bad intake valve on number 

one and a bad exhaust valve on number five so I pulled the head and thats exactly what I found.I plan to test compression again after I install the rebuilt head and that should give me a good indication how the lower end is.If these two cyllinders are lover than the other four I will do a leakdown on these  and decide on what to do next.And you are correct this is a Model 25 25A Enclosed Touring.