1962 Newport..

nick8086

What? Too thin to overbore? How much is it already overbored?

Here is the decode table. I see some mistakes in their manifold table, but theres plenty of info to figure out what engine you have:  http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/motor/36.html

Here's the stamping locations for the displacement. Which pad you have will tell you whether its a 'B" or "RB" engine.

(Dont put too much stock in the displacements in red on this graphic, its only correct for newer stuff. RB 383's for instance do exist. The pad location is the important thing here)

MoparEngineIdentification.jpg

Edited by Bloo
.. (see edit history)

45 minutes ago, nick8086 said:

I think I have a 361 or a 413 Motor..

If those are the choices, then Reg Evans nailed it and its a 361.

No 413s were ever built as two barrels as far as I know. All 413s are RB engines. RB engines take a different intake manifold than B engines. The reason is the deck height. RB engines have a taller deck, and so the intake has to be wider to fit.

There were 2 barrel RB 383 engines in Chrysler division (only) cars around 1960 (all other 383s are B engines, and all other 2 barrel engines in this family are also B engines).

As far as I know, the intake manifold from the RB 383 is the only 2 barrel RB manifold that exists. If thats a 413, then someone has put this relatively rare RB 383 2 barrel manifold on it.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

You should have no trouble boring the engine up to .060 . If they used the same block casting for 361 and 383 engines and you could bore it to stock 383 size that would be .125 over.

Not many people build the 361 because you can build a 383 or 400 for the same money and a 440 for a little more.

If the cylinders don't need to be bored it is possible a set of rings, bearings, gaskets, and timing chain will fix it.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

I did a search for rebuild kits. You can get them for a 383 but didn't find any for a 361. The difference is piston size. Maybe you could order one even if it is not in the catalog. Or maybe you can bore a 361 block to 383 size.

The engine may not need boring at all. If it was taken out to put in a bigger engine maybe there is nothing wrong with it and it does not need rebuilding.

The "little big block" 361 is a neat little engine. Being an odd duck, it is harder to get pistons/rings, as Rusty mentioned. I had one in a 1965 b-body. I liked it a lot. Of course any of the other sizes will make more horsepower (and burn more gas). I don't recall if you can just bore them to 383. Probably, but I wouldn't. low-deck 383s are common as dirt.

Also that 361 may not need boring. 383s opened at high mileage often have carved out a deeper ridge over by the spark plug and need boring.

Do you know why your father replaced the engine? If he just wanted more power it is likely there is nothing wrong with the 361. Chrysler big blocks are strong, durable, long living engines. The 361 is the smallest and lowest powered of the lot. Stress on bearings, pistons, etc is minimal. Therefore, it is quite possible it is in good shape even with quite high mileage.

You could take off the heads and oil pan. Check the cylinders for wear, likewise the crankshaft and bearings. As I said before it is quite possible a valve job, a set of rings, bearings, timing chain and gaskets will do the trick without new pistons and without any machine shop work.  You can do an overhaul like that at home, and have an engine that is good for 100,000 miles.