Unknown light

25 Buick

A side marker or parking light.  Thousands of them during the thirties and fourties.  Often mounted on the driver's side fender and left on at night to let others know there was a parked car in the roadway back before street lights were common.  Often green to the front and red to the side and rear.

I believe similar light fixtures were used as caboose marker lights to designate the end of a train.  Some of these marker lights looked like this:

img2355_b.jpg

The last car of a train wasn't always the caboose, but sometimes just a regular car.  Regardless, the end of the train had to be marked with a red flag in daytime and a (or a pair of) red light(s) at night.  For this reason, these marker lights were usually portable from one car to another.  I understand that the protocols for displaying various colored marker lights is somewhat complicated, except that the red lights had to be visible from the rear of the last car of the train.

Anyway, that's the limit of my understanding of this, and I'm unable to shed any more light on the subject:P.

Cheers,

Grog