Ford Mustang Fine Dining

TerryB

In 1965 Ford came up with the perfect accessory for the hungry Mustang owner, this traveler's cookbook containing meals you can make while on the go.  The book is copyrighted 1965.  I've seen others from Ford but this one with the Mustang on the cover is one of the best.  I bet your mouth is watering for some of that canned ham and canned chili!

Terry

IMG_0708.JPG

"Quick ways to prepare good food on the road"  Does that mean good food found on the road (road kill), or prepared while driving?:P  I guess the canned stuff could be heated on the exhaust manifold, and a dutch oven for baking bread could also be bolted to the exhaust system.  If not for the automobile-powered cookers, it's just another picnic how-to book.:D  Is there a recipe for manifold Spam sandwiches?  "Kill 'em and grill 'em in your new Ford"!

My nonsensical remarks aside, is this Ford Cookbook of a size that could be stored in the glove box, and were they available only from Ford dealers?  It looks like you scored a pretty good period accessory.

Cheers,

Grog

It was sent to Ford owners who were on the mailing list for the Ford Times magazine and you could get it from the local Ford dealer.  This is the first edition, a second was printed in 1968 and later the two were combined into a hardback publication.  The cover on the first edition is nicer with the Mustang (and canned ham) featured on the cover.

Guest Turismo

Wouldn't mind wiring in a little grill into the glove box to make me some killer burgers on the go.

OFF Topic but kind of neat. Wife's 2001 Honda CRV came from the factory with a fold up Picnic table. It's also the floor cover above the spare tire, and if you leave the spare tire out the area can be used as a cooler with a plug you remove to drain water from melted ice.

For really fine doing while on the road, remember that at one time people wrapped their meat in foil and cooked on the manifold while driving.

I've seen it done at Pre-WWII car gatherings.  It's like sleeping in a tent beside the road, interesting to see, but it's not for me.

• Like 1