Mid 1920's Buick Brake Cross Shaft Adjustment

Hubert_25-25

Learning why I like hydraulic brakes so much.  This is a 1925 Standard, but the cars with 4 wheel mechanical brakes had this mechanical brake distribution mechanism.  Everything was installed loosely, and I have been slowly tightening all of it a little as I go.  I have the "rear brake cross shaft" working correctly.  All of the fasteners are tight on the rear brake section and the shafts spins with a slight pressure on the lever as it should.   I am having some trouble with the "front brake cross shaft".  The Front cross shaft has 3 bearings in a row.  When I tighten the flange bearings that are on the frame rails to compressing the lock washers, but not completely snug, I can still rotate the cross shaft with little effort.  If I snug both bolts on the flange bearings, the shaft becomes difficult to turn, and I know it is too tight for the brakes to operate.  They are either slightly out of alignment, or the flange is not perfectly perpendicular and it is binding in the bushing.  My solution is to snug up the top bolt on the two flange bushings.  On the bottom bolts, I left it tight but not snugged up all the way, and I installed a lock nut so as not to pull the shaft into a bind.  Maybe I could try this with a shim on the lower bolt and make it snug then?  Has anyone had to do this to keep the cross shaft spinning freely?  I can't wait to start adjusting the rods and the bands to get everything working harmoniously..   Thank you   Hugh

591a79253d3f2_BrakeCrossShaft.thumb.JPG.4591291f3e5fd58678228f84645b8a1c.JPG

Hugh.

I have never had any problem with that,maybe the axle are not stright.

Install the flange C and loosen the bolt on flange B,or loosen B at first and install C after that.

If that will work you can shims betwen the frame and flange B or Clean from paint?

Or try change the flanges A and C.

Leif in Sweden.

Leif and Mark,

I did pull off Flange Bushing A for a visual inspection of its base and the chassis surface, but did not see anything unusual.  This was the one giving me trouble.  I fully tightened the bolts on flange bushing C.  No binding on the cross shaft.  I reinstalled flange bushing A.  The cross shaft seems to have lots of movement until right when I tighten the bottom bolt on flange bushing A.  So there is something going on at flange bushing A.  I installed a very thin shim between the flange bushing base and the chassis under the lower flange bolt, and now I am able to tighten everything up without binding the shaft.  I could probably pull it all apart and lay a straight edge against the chassis and the flange and see what is out, but it all seems Ok now.  The shaft seems straight and no issues with rotating the shaft now.  Thank you for your comments.      Hugh         

• Like 2