'41 accelerator pedal

neil morse

I am having a frustrating time doing something that I thought would be completely simple: replacing the gas pedal on my '41 Super.

I ordered a new pedal from Bob's.  (I will not dwell on the fact that the first two that he sent were wrong right out of the box, and I had to pay for return shipping myself.)  So I was already a bit peeved, but I figured third time's the charm, right?

I got part no. AP-390BN, an "exact copy on new steel core."  I removed the pivot clevis pin from the mounting bracket from my car, removed the old pedal, and installed the new one with a new cotter pin.  So far, so good.  However, when I went to put it on the car, I found that the angle of the hinge on the pedal is wrong, and so the top of the pedal ends up about an inch to the right of where it should be and it is impossible to attach it to the throttle linkage rod that comes through the firewall.  This photo shows the difference between the old pedal (on the right), and the new pedal (on the left, mounted on the bracket).  I have lined up the old pedal so the hinge lines up with the bracket.  You can see that the angle of the hinge line is different.

I called Bob, and he said "I'm not sure whether the problem you're having lies with the new pedal or the old pedal."  Needless to say, I did not find this remark to be at all helpful.  He also told me that I should just bend the pedal at the hinge line, and I could make it fit.  Also unhelpful as this would obviously be impossible.

Is there anyone out there who has successfully purchased a replacement '41 gas pedal that fits?  I see that I can have my old core revulcanized by Steele, and that's probably what I should have done to begin with instead of trying to deal with Bob.

gas_pedal.jpg

Edited by neil morse (see edit history)

Thanks, Dave, I will post another pic after I remove it.  As far as welding -- I'm afraid that's pretty far out of my skill set.  Also, the tube at the top for the throttle linkage would also have to be repositioned.   There's gotta be an easier way!

It could be that your new pedal is for the large-size cars.  It looks like the pedal on my 1939 Roadmaster.  The pedal on that car has the thick section at the base and angles off to the right. The pedal on my 1949 Super is more upright, like the original one that you show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuickBob49 said:

It could be that your new pedal is for the large-size cars.  It looks like the pedal on my 1939 Roadmaster.  The pedal on that car has the thick section at the base and angles off to the right. The pedal on my 1949 Super is more upright, like the original one that you show.

But doesn't the Super have the "large-sized" body for 1941?  None of this makes sense to me.  But I would be very grateful to hear from any '41 owners who have been able to find a replacement gas pedal that fits their car.

To pick up on my previous email and your query, as I see it, for 1941, the Special (40 series) and Century (60 series) were essentially carryovers from the late 1930s. The Super (50 series) and Roadmaster (70 series) were the new Torpedo bodies that Buick introduced in 1940.  They were the impetus for the 50 and 70 series that carried through after WWII until 1948.

The large Limited (90 series) was the big car with underpinnings from the late 1930s and carrying over through 1942.  The old 80 series, which was also a large car known as the Roadmaster through 1939, shared much with the 90 series through 1940, when it became the 80 series Limited. (In 1940 GM downgraded the Roadmaster to the 70 series and gave it the Torpedo body.)

So, you might have an accelerator pedal that fits the 80-90 series cars from the late 1930s/early 1940s.

Actually in 1941, the Special (40 series) and Century (60 series) had the new torpedo bodies. The Super (50 series) and Roadmaster (70 series) still displayed the older trunk design.

Must haves for information on these great cars is Bill Anderson's book "Restoration facts, 1941 Buick" and Walt B. on 1941 Buicks.

I'm just learning about Buicks, but I'm pretty sure that you are incorrect on that.  The new "C" body, shared by the Super and the Roadmaster in '40 and '41 was called the "torpedo" body.  It was wider, and eliminated the running boards.  They had another name for the "fastback" bodies on the Special and the Century, which escapes me at the moment.

From this period brochure, here's the first sentence of the description of the Roadmaster interior:

You have a generous measure of everything, in the interior of this smart new torpedo-styled sedan.

The first sentence of the description of the Special interior:

Just from looking at this picture, you can tell that the new Mass-stream styled Special sedan is much roomier and more luxurious than ever before.

20170324_175848.jpg

Buick had "A", "B",and "C" bodies, not confusing at all, but they had "A" body Specials that look very similar to "C" body Supers and Roadmasters. They also had "B" body Specials(sedanettes), with slantback style configuration, and same body style on a Roadmaster frame, presto, Century! In 1941, try keeping up with variations of Limited! No wonder folks sometimes complained after given a test drive in a Century at the dealership and saving some money buying an identical looking Special, whoops the salesman didn't bring that smaller engine to your attention, dang! Just doesn't accelerate like the demo?. Gotta keep your scorecard handy!

On 4/11/2017 at 11:42 AM, neil morse said:

Here are two more pics that show both pedals NOT MOUNTED to the bracket, as requested.  The difference is so obvious that I should have noticed it right away.  Any other ideas?

20170411_091936.jpg

20170411_092002.jpg

Had the same quandary trying to buy one for my 39 Spec coupe. The one on the left ended up being a correct fit from Metro Moulded rubber, in stock, 65.00, but tired of of trying to figure out correct pedal shipped, I bought what I could look at in person, as they are just a few miles from my house! When I looked at Bob's Automobiles it was confusing becuz the body for the 1940 Special coupe is carried over from 1939, but my 1940 Super coupe uses the more straightup design pedal, dramatically restyled, very different from Spec. Hard to find these details in print or online catalogs. They give the years that fit, but don't spell out different pedal requirements cuz of the two styles of '40 coupe bodies available that same year. Confuseder more yet?

Yes, I am more cofuseder than ever! :D  Are you saying that Metro Moulded has the right one for my car?  I went on their site, and they only show a pic of the front of the pedal, part No. AP-29.  They say it fits '41 Special and Super, "Price (US funds): $36.40," but I have my doubts.  If they would show the back of the pedal, I could see what the hinge geometry is.

7 hours ago, neil morse said:

Yes, I am more cofuseder than ever! :D  Are you saying that Metro Moulded has the right one for my car?  I went on their site, and they only show a pic of the front of the pedal, part No. AP-29.  They say it fits '41 Special and Super, "Price (US funds): $36.40," but I have my doubts.  If they would show the back of the pedal, I could see what the hinge geometry is.

I will try to go there today and see what they offer with my '41 Century pedal in hand. If they have a match, I'll prolly just buy one myself as I don't remember having a good one. Regardless, they are close enuff for me to go there and check in person. Others may need that info. "Expiring minds want to know" I think that's the right quote? Details to follow, Greg PS I have cars that use "both versions", so I will try to clarify.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

2 hours ago, 2carb40 said:

I will try to go there today and see what they offer with my '41 Century pedal in hand. If they have a match, I'll prolly just buy one myself as I don't remember having a good one. Regardless, they are close enuff for me to go there and check in person. Others may need that info. "Expiring minds want to know" I think that's the right quote? Details to follow, Greg PS I have cars that use "both versions", so I will try to clarify.

That would be fantastic, thank you!  If they have one that matches the pedal on the right in my photos (less acute angle, brown color), please get the part number and let me know.

On 4/10/2017 at 5:16 PM, neil morse said:

I am having a frustrating time doing something that I thought would be completely simple: replacing the gas pedal on my '41 Super.

I ordered a new pedal from Bob's.  (I will not dwell on the fact that the first two that he sent were wrong right out of the box, and I had to pay for return shipping myself.)  So I was already a bit peeved, but I figured third time's the charm, right?

I got part no. AP-390BN, an "exact copy on new steel core."  I removed the pivot clevis pin from the mounting bracket from my car, removed the old pedal, and installed the new one with a new cotter pin.  So far, so good.  However, when I went to put it on the car, I found that the angle of the hinge on the pedal is wrong, and so the top of the pedal ends up about an inch to the right of where it should be and it is impossible to attach it to the throttle linkage rod that comes through the firewall.  This photo shows the difference between the old pedal (on the right), and the new pedal (on the left, mounted on the bracket).  I have lined up the old pedal so the hinge lines up with the bracket.  You can see that the angle of the hinge line is different.

I called Bob, and he said "I'm not sure whether the problem you're having lies with the new pedal or the old pedal."  Needless to say, I did not find this remark to be at all helpful.  He also told me that I should just bend the pedal at the hinge line, and I could make it fit.  Also unhelpful as this would obviously be impossible.

Is there anyone out there who has successfully purchased a replacement '41 gas pedal that fits?  I see that I can have my old core revulcanized by Steele, and that's probably what I should have done to begin with instead of trying to deal with Bob.

gas_pedal.jpg

Just got back from Metro Moulded, which is closeby. I bought the a new pedal like what you show on the left from them in stock for my 1939, fit perfect. Today I ordered the only other one they have listed, which is supposed to be like the one on the right, which is identical to yours pictured right. Seven to ten days to mold it is the prediction. They don't stock, because "so seldom sold", they make them as ordered. When he brought them up on his computer, I recognized the earlier design right away(your pic on left). He only had pix of face not back, but said, " if it's not right you don't have to take it" Hellofa way to run a railroad, as they say, but when your only other sources are Bob's & Steele, I guess I'll be the test case for wether correct or not! Details to follow, hopefully in 7-10 days.

Heres the pedal from my 41 Century and the order printed to document it. No upfront charge on my card. Pay when picking up. I will ask about brown color when I pick this up.

20170415_103144.thumb.jpg.424dbee67bf3fcca69ac613789ec40ad.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/15/2017 at 10:48 AM, neil morse said:

Cool!  That's the same pedal as mine for sure.  Let us know how the new one looks when you get it.

Update on pedal is they are backordered waiting for metal cores to be available. Bad news is no prediction on time. When I stopped back they said they would call me when available...... Should you add your backorder for brown? I don't know!

14 hours ago, 2carb40 said:

Update on pedal is they are backordered waiting for metal cores to be available. Bad news is no prediction on time. When I stopped back they said they would call me when available...... Should you add your backorder for brown? I don't know!

Thanks, Greg.  I'm not in a hurry.  I was going to wait until you got yours just to make sure that it came out right.  But since the photo shows that the pedal from your Century is exactly the same as the one from my Super, I might as well put in my back order, as you suggest.

Neil

• 5 weeks later...

Greetings

Finally go the call from Metro "Troubled", I mean Moulded! Went there and saw the perfectly formed pedal for a1946-1949 Buick with the weakass "flap" moulded right to the pedal for a "hinge" with two screw holes for mounting to floor board. I did get a very nice, (65.00) repro pedal for my 1939 Spec, which is shown on left in pix, but I dont think they have one for 1940-41-42. 1946 my Buick big chassis parts book shows that pedal with rubber hinge, intregal with pedal 20170608_142727.thumb.jpg.46197fbb1f714baec5939d4a9883c62f.jpg20170608_143200.thumb.jpg.3eb774f7e593dcb77ca2a827b3753414.jpgstarting 1946 First photo! Second photo from Buick chassis parts book showing pin and floorboard bracket. Holes for accel link and bottom pin, notice 90 degree to pedal body. 39 holes at steep angle to pedal body as shown in pix ealier posted. Revulcanize original with Steele I guess?

Oh my -- what a revoltin' development this is, as Riley used to say.  So, I want to make sure that I'm not even more confuseder than ever.  You're saying that after taking your old Century pedal (as shown in post #23), which is pretty clearly the same as my Super pedal (as shown in my earlier pic), Metro Moulded finally told you your order was ready and presented you with the '46 pedal with the flap hinge, as shown in your post above?  How annoying.  Did you show the folks at Metro the pedal from your Century?  As you suggest, I think I will have to take the Steel revulcanize route.  However, as just suggested by Dale, it's probably worth a call to Doug Seybold before I do that.

On 6/8/2017 at 4:32 PM, neil morse said:

Oh my -- what a revoltin' development this is, as Riley used to say.  So, I want to make sure that I'm not even more confuseder than ever.  You're saying that after taking your old Century pedal (as shown in post #23), which is pretty clearly the same as my Super pedal (as shown in my earlier pic), Metro Moulded finally told you your order was ready and presented you with the '46 pedal with the flap hinge, as shown in your post above?  How annoying.  Did you show the folks at Metro the pedal from your Century?  As you suggest, I think I will have to take the Steel revulcanize route.  However, as just suggested by Dale, it's probably worth a call to Doug Seybold before I do that.

Yes to all! Having the pedal with me had no impact at all, as they just offer what's pictured on the computer and didn't know what that would look like exactly till it came, but they were good to their word, ordering the pedal made and saying if it isn't right you do not have to accept it, (no upfront payment required). Total bill was 38$ and change. The quite amazing thing is they did honestly only make one! Waited all that time for metal backer to be available and I thought maybe they would make at least one more for stock, nope. So, I recommend if your not local and you can't tell for sure from the pix they provide, find another way, as this would have been even more frustrating had I waited for it to be shipped somewhere, then found out the bad news! Good luck on the search. I'd like to hear how it goes, as I need one as well.