Can someone decode the VIN no of a '37 Studebaker Dictator Coupe

Cristian

Dear all,

This is my first posting here and first all all I have to say that I am overwhelmed by the knowledgeable people and resources found here. 

As regards my topic I was wondering if someone could confirm whether the following VIN number (5570064) and engine number (D93770) are matching and prove to be the original match of a 1937 Studebaker Coupe.  I am really keen on buying the car and I would like o seek some prior confirmation ahead of jumping into it (although emotionally I am already there :)).

Also, I found a separate label indicating on the first 37 AQ-5 and the line below 870 as shown in the photo (hope it works to upload).  Could any of you help me depict what this means?  

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Cristian

IMG_4866.JPG

According to the "big book", which is the "Standard Catalog of US cars" by Clark/Kimes...

Your engine number shows up under 1936-year Model list.

The car ID shows up in the 37 Model list

D-112601 is listed as the first engine sequential number for 37 Model year.   If the book is correct, you have a 36 "year Model" engine in a 37 "year model" car.

I have no info on the other tag, but it appears to be a body related "ID tag"

I just looked at the engine horsepower for both years, 6 and 8.  They are identical.

It's totally your call on this whole matching numbers thing, but I would not have an issue with this minor mismatch, "IF" the car is nice, and was something I really liked otherwise. 

Studebaker never did "matching" serial (not VIN) numbers.  It is quite possible that a late 1936 engine was put in an early 1937 car as Studebaker would use up the previous years over production in next years cars.  The 37 on the body plate indicates model year for the 5A (beam front axle) and 6A (Planar independent front suspension) Dictator.  It was the only year Studebaker did that.  It was also the last year for the Dictator model designation (courtesy of someone named Adolf Hitler).  The letter A designates Dictator, Q designates coupe, 5 is the trim level,  either regular (rear mounted spare tire) or deluxe (one side mount) and no rumble seat - 1937 was the last year for a rumble seat.  The 870 means it was the 870th 1937 Dictator body built.  That number is not body style specific, it doesn't mean it was the 870th coupe built.  The engine number indicates it is a model 5A.

Terry       

Hi there,

Thanks a lot for all your enlightening info.  

From all I gathered, the car should be a 37 Coupe body 5A, beam front axle.  I wound tend to think positively about the 36 engine being placed originally on the 37 body as it was the same engine. 

All the best,

Cristian

IMG_4867.JPG

IMG_4868.JPG

IMG_4869.JPG

IMG_4870.JPG

• Like 1