Correct Rubber Cowl Seal for '41 Super Sedan?

neil morse

The rubber seal between the hood and cowl on my Super is missing, leaving a series of holes through which a lot of water apparently poured over the years, judging by the condition of the front floor pans.

I need to replace it, but I am confused because the pictures in various suppliers catalogs seem to show different things.  Could someone post a picture of the correct rubber and an indication of how it is attached?  Thanks!

I bought mine from Steele rubber a few years ago, and there are push in rivets, which came with the new piece. I will try to shot a picture of it later and post it. Also, there are rubber bumpers that go on the side on cowl that the hood rests on. These go directly into the interior and the water ends up at the base of the A pillars.

Keith

Thanks.  That was my confusion.  Bob's seemed to offer a continuous strip with push in "rivets" attached.  But the illustration from the Steele catalog seems to show a more generic weatherstrip material with a separate bag of "rivets" or "stoppers."  A photo would be a big help.  Also, I'm not sure I understand what you say about the water ending up at the base of the A pillars.  Isn't the idea to keep the water out altogether?  What am I missing?

Edited by neil morse
spelling (see edit history)

I'm haven't quite figured out how to post photos on here yet and position them in the text, but here are photos of the two different things that Steele and Bob's show for the cowl/hood seal.

Steele_hood-seal.jpg

Bobs_hood_seal.jpg

9 minutes ago, Grandpa said:

Pictured is the cowl to hood seal on my 1941 Roadmaster.  I don't recall the name of the supplier.  I hope this is of some help.

P1010984a.jpg

Thank you so much, that is very helpful!  That looks like the type that is offered by Bob's Automobilia, as shown in the second photo in my post, above.  When I got my Super, there was a box from Bob's in the trunk with one strip like this.  The rubber "rivets" lined up right on the holes, so I was pretty sure that's what it was, but I wasn't sure it was correct.

Your Roadmaster is absolutely magnificent!  Are there any other pictures of it posted anywhere else on this forum where I could see more of it?  Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I'm back with a further question.  First of all, I found a box from Bob's in the trunk of my car with a few parts in it, including what looked like one half of the hood/cowl weatherstrip that I am missing.  After seeing Grandpa's photo, I confirmed that this was indeed the case.  As you can see from these photos, the strip I have fits the left-hand (driver's) side and appears to be similar to what is on Grandpa's magnificent Roadmaster.  (Even though it apparently came from Bob's, it has a Steele logo on it.)  So all I need is the right side.

But here's my question: I'm probably missing something obvious, but what I don't understand is what happens at the center where the two "half" strips meet?  There is only one center hole for the rubber "stoppers" to fit into.  How do you get both "half" strips to meet in the middle?  If I could prevail on Grandpa to post another photo showing the spot where the two sides meet in the center, that would be great!  Thanks.

20170429_102452.jpg

20170429_102639.jpg

I'm taking the liberty of bumping this back up to the top in hopes that someone can answer my last question about how the two sides of weatherstripping are attached where they meet in the middle.  Thanks in advance! 

Neil