63 Riviera Project (From Mothballs)

Guest SteveZak

Guest SteveZak

I've had a 63 Riviera for about 25 years, the last 12 years it's been stored in the garage. I'm clearing out the garage and getting the Rivy out of mothballs! I'll be looking to get her running again after all this time and most likely will sell it soon. I've got it turning over but it doesn't seem to be firing. I guess the next step is checking the coil and points (original)

New Battery

New plugs

Belts

Any quick tips on how to check the coil and capacitor?

Thanks for any help, Steve

Edited by SteveZak (see edit history)

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum.

After sitting for 25 years just replace all the ignition related items and be done with it. Plugs, points, condenser, dist. cap, rotor, plug wires, coil. All are readily available and inexpensive. Probably want to flush out that fuel tank as well. Maybe new fuel pump, fuel filter and a carb kit. Then belts & hoses. Should be good to go.

Good luck, Greg

Guest SteveZak

Thanks Greg, should have thought of that instead troubleshooting one piece at a time.

Does anyone know where to find the cars options based on the ID codes. see attached 

ID Plate.jpg

Block ID.jpg

20170331_114737.jpg

Guest SteveZak

I'm in west central Florida, Clearwater area. I am going to post pictures as soon as I drive it out of the garage and wash it. I believe it's all original and I'm the third owner.  A nice project, just wish I had the time to spend on it. Right now it's my #2 priority to get her up and running by next weekend. I went to the parts store today to buy all new ignition parts and should have everything I need by Tuesday to try and fire it up.