Another Buick

kgreen

Thanks to Lamar Brown (Earl) I am now the proud owner of another Buick.  It's also a '40 and more road ready than my 76C.  I do get the diversity thing as I have two vintage/special interest Fords as well.  This one is a 4 door Super and has unique options like dust, cobwebs a mud dobber nest attached to the seat and the distinctive smell of "old car".  It is not currently running but should be drive-able after a fuel and brake system overhaul.  Check this out (below)!  

It spent the last 25 or so years locked away in a warehouse after the PO left us for his eternal journey.  His family didn't do anything with it for the lack of interest.  It was actually a part of a horde of cars, others of which have Lamar licking his chops and crowding his barn.

IMG_4316.JPG

That's Lamar's new slantback '38 in the background.

IMG_4317.JPG

Edited by kgreen (see edit history)
  • Like 9

What a gorgeous ride,glad to see you got pictures before you blew the dust off.The last one I got like that,I was able to drive so I washed the windshield so I could see where I was going and there happened to be a show that weekend,drove in and had more attention than the shiney ones.It was a '65 Riviera that I'll be posting pictures of soon. 

• Like 1

Riv:  I get it.  I wanted to leave the dust on the car as long as possible.  I did wash the car tonight and that was a lot of time earned dust flowing down the drive.  The car interior needs to be cleaned out so that I can reassemble parts that were removed.  The interior door panels were removed and placed in the rear seat and the drivers window, vent window and vent deflector have been removed from the drivers door and are not with the car.  There is also a piece of trim around the exterior of the drivers window that hasn't been found.  Once cleaned, it will be easier to crawl around it to access parts that need attention.  Plus it is pretty gross sitting in the car right now with all the dust.

IMG_4320.JPG

IMG_4321.JPG

• Like 14

22 hours ago, RivRider said:

If you have trouble finding those missing parts,let me know,a friend of mine has a graveyard of over 4000 cars from the '40s to the '70s.As soon as the snow disappears,I could see if he has anything

PM sent

One thing I like about these Supers  is how the doorhandles are incorporated into the beltline trim.  I came home the first day after looking at this car thinking it was a two door. 

I made a pretty good sweep of the warehouse Monday  when I went to pick up rest of the parts Ken, but did not find your missing window parts. I still have yet to clean out two or three of the other cars and as you know parts had just been stuck in different  cars over the years,  so hopefully I will find them for you. 

Any report on cranking her over yet? Is she soaking or?  

• Like 2

Yes Lamar, I've got the cylinders soaking as well as the carb and a handful of other fasteners that I know I will have to wrestle with.  The master brake cylinder is frozen as is the carb linkage.  Both will require rebuilding anyway.  The jack that was in the back that I originally told you didn't belong to the car actually does belong.  That was a nice addition!  I've been traveling so I haven't touched it for the last couple of weeks.  That gives the penetrating fluid a chance to work.

I thought I would let you know,it's almost time for a graveyard trip,did you and "Mr.Earl" come across the missing parts yet? I need a tailgate for my Blazer and the 3 feet of snow we had three weeks ago is almost gone.I'm taking my camera to get some pictures of this amazing yard to post here,there aren't many left in this part of the country,although I do know of another that has around 1500 cars from the same era,just discovered he has 80 Hudsons.I found out this guy just started selling some parts.Both of these yards where owned by men that hardly ever sold anything,every time I went to the big one I tried to take something with me to trade because they where both the type that said "no,I'm going to fix that one someday" Back to your Buick,is that an original color? She sure looks great.I'm still hoping "Mr.Earl" decides he doesn't have room for that '38!! Did you see my post about Marvel Mystery Oil,every body has there own tricks,but I've rescued three stuck engine so far with it and hoping for number four "Elvira" this spring

Edited by RivRider
addition to post (see edit history)
  • Like 1

No, he has not found the parts, I looked through the trunks of several cars as well.  The missing parts are the vent window, the dividing bar (if there is one) between the vent window and the rollup window, the chrome trim around the window and the wind deflector that is mounted over the vent window.  Also missing are three arm rests, one for the front and both rear.  The PO had removed the door panels and window trim, I suspect to begin restoration of the interior.  He also fitted the car with a steering gear box, column and steering wheel from a 51 Buick.  It fits, it works, but it ain't correct.

You know I have another 40 with missing parts as well.  If you see any semblance of a model 50 or model 70 in that junk yard from 1940, I'm bringing my tools, tent and sleeping bag to be prepared to spend as much time as it takes to recover parts.  (or the whole car!)

I know of marvel mystery oil, but I am using the 50/50 mix of acetone/trans fluid.  I'm not sure the engine is stuck.  I've not tried to turn it over.  The carb is frozen, but not from water saturation.  I'm just not able to get the butterfly valve shaft to move.

• Like 1

As I don't know my models from that era can you tell me how to identify or send me a picture.I am sure there are a few up there,a few years back he needed some money and had an auction there and sold only cars up to '40,over 1000 cars left that weekend pre '40,they had to make a road out of the backside of the property to get them out because they where the first ones in.There where people there from around the world,as me and another of his buddies did some major advertising for the auction months in advance and he made close to $900,000 that weekend,took over a month to get them all out.The saddest part about this yard is that at least 3/4 of the cars there where driven in !!! Some of them in the back now are parked so close together that you have to walk across cars to get through,a lot of the nice ones are on blocks but most are disappearing in the dirt.One that I have been trying to talk him out of for almost 40 years and he still won't let go is a '49 Kaiser Vagabond Traveler Wagon camper special.Very few made like this,back seat folds down,rear tailgate drops,rear widow raises and there is a snap-on cover to extend the back for using to go camping,the left rear door doesn't even open because the spare tire is bolted to the inside of door.There where a few sedans made like this also,but I don't think they came with the rear enclosier. Also a '59 Imperial with a stainless half roof that is one of the few undercover,sitting next to his last purchase that he drove back from Colorado 15 years ago,a '59 Desoto. I'll get back to you soon.  Dan

• Like 2

Fill her right to the top of fill hole till it won't take anymore,then add to it as it seeps in,then when you're ready to try getting loose put a small heater under the pan and let it warm the whole engine,makes a big difference when warm.An oil dip stick heater will work as well.

• Like 1

Don't be scared,that is how I did the last 4 engines,three that worked and one on the way.The '68 LeSabre took 8 quarts on top of the 6 that was in the pan to start with,added every few days until it wouldn't take any more.Six months later it was running! I let it drain for a day before refilling,a lot of smoke that cleared in 15 minutes and it's still running today out in Illinois,till she comes home. Good luck on however your trick is,everyone has one.In fact the guy with the graveyard is the one that taught me this one.

Edited by RivRider
short addition (see edit history)
  • Like 1