25 Buick Steering wheel removal

carmover

On the 26 Std there is a small set screw on the side of the horn button but be careful as they ingeniously put 3 small return springs behind the button that are easily lost. Behind the horn button there is a nut for removing the steering wheel although I've never tried undoing mine it appears to be all that holds it to the shaft. I would make sure to remove the advance, headlight and manual throttle levers first as they are only pot metal and would be easily broken. I found a paper spacer between each of the levers to give them some clearance and to stop them binding. Good luck

I am not sure if yours is the same as a 1930 model but I will try and detail the removal. I have some pics to offer as well.  I removed the two screws in the first plate (pic1 & 2). The center piece should now lift up but not off. There is a small screw (pic 4) holding the wire into the bottom of the horn button. Loosen it and the whole piece should now come off. You will find a wire clip installed that holds the horn button in the assembly you just removed (pic 5). Now on the piece that is still installed on the wheel you will find two more screw that need to be removed along with the two remaining levers (pic 3) Make sure you note the locations of the copper sweep and which way the levers are attached. Also on mine there are two pieces of round stock with a spring between them on each lever (pic 6). Be care not to loose these. Once you remove these the steering wheel washer and nut will be accessible. Loosen the nut but do not remove it. The wheel is a press fit to the beveled shaft. I was unable to find any type of puller and another member suggested I use a piece of wood to knock it loose. I used a piece of 2 x 4 and cut one end at a 45 so I would have a small edge to get into the small area between the bottom of the steering wheel and the outer steering shaft. I hit it while rotating the wheel until it moved up the beveled shaft and I could pull it off by hand. If you do not leave the nut in place there is a good chance that the wheel will go flying off. I hope this helps. Good luck. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

8 hours ago, carmover said:

Can anyone tell me how to remove the horn button and steering wheel from a 25 buick standard?

Why do you want to remove it?

If it's similar to mine, the aluminum wheel spokes are held to the steering shaft on a taper, with a key.

27 Master shown below:

052715 buick steering wheel (2).JPG

052715 buick steering wheel (4).JPG

060415 buick steering wheel (2).JPG

060615 buick steering wheel and column removal (4).JPG

060615 buick steering wheel and column removal (5).JPG

Edited by 27donb (see edit history)
  • Like 2

About a year ago I had a electrical short in the original wiring which was in real bad shape.I rewired the whole car using wire from Rhode Island wiring.and sent the switch assembly to Bob's and they completely rebuilt it.Everything works perfectly

but the horn wire that runs up through the column is still original and all of the insulation has burned off and I want to rewire it.I don't need to pull the wheel but just the horn button.

• Like 1