Restoration question.. how to get it apart?

Dodge1934

I have a rad shell with the badge still attached to the front. The shell is very rusted and I want to take off the badge without ruining it, restore the shell and then reassemble it after. It is a 1923 Mcalughlin rad shell. the badge is somehow fastened to a circle piece on the rad shell. My thought is to get a piece of pipe and tap on the circle to pop the badge off the other side... I assume I would need to glue it back in to reassemble.

Does anybody have experience with such things?

1 hour ago, Dodge1934 said:

somehow fastened to a circle piece on the rad shell

I have no idea on your car, but a friend with a 23 Stude was missing his emblem.  It had the round attaching base and he showed me how the emblem he found at Hershey, just snaps into it.  He told me that a lot of cars were like that, and people used to go through junkyards prying them off with a jackknife.

Yes, you have to remove it from the inside out.  DO NOT attempt to pry it out from the front.  All you will do is destroy the badge itself. 

Here is what I recommend.  The round disk is brazed to the back of the emblem.  That is a very weak point, and easily snapped off.  So you have to be very careful.  

Use your favorite rust penetrator, WD 40, Kroil, PB Blaster, or the AFT/acetone mix.  Put it around the the disk and the shell, let it soak for 24 hours and keep applying the penetrator.  

You do not want to ding the disk with a punch to get it to move, that will misshapen the disk, and you will have a terrible time getting it straight/round again to fit easily back into the shell hole.  

Go through your socket set and find one that fits snugly on the disk, then gently tap all around the socket and see if there is any movement of the disk.  If not put on more penetrator and try again, and again.  At some point the disk will give up and push through the front of the shell.  Make sure the emblem and shell are supported with something soft and has some give so as to not damage the badge or the shell.

Good luck.  Let us know how you do.  

I would not use any heat, as you will melt the disc from the badge.

When you reassemble the badge into the shell, put some JBWeld dabs or heavy duty glue on the back edge of the disk.  You do not want the badge to fall out the front.  

P1060248.JPG

P1060300.JPG

P1060305.JPG

P1070994.JPG

Yes, you have to remove it from the inside out.  DO NOT attempt to pry it out from the front.  All you will do is destroy the badge itself. 

Here is what I recommend.  The round disk is brazed to the back of the emblem.  That is a very weak point, and easily snapped off.  So you have to be very careful.  

Use your favorite rust penetrator, WD 40, Kroil, PB Blaster, or the AFT/acetone mix.  Put it around the the disk and the shell, let it soak for 24 hours and keep applying the penetrator.  

You do not want to ding the disk with a punch to get it to move, that will misshapen the disk, and you will have a terrible time getting it straight/round again to fit easily back into the shell hole.  

Go through your socket set and find one that fits snugly on the disk, then gently tap all around the socket and see if there is any movement of the disk.  If not put on more penetrator and try again, and again.  At some point the disk will give up and push through the front of the shell.  Make sure the emblem and shell are supported with something soft and has some give so as to not damage the badge or the shell.

When you reassemble the badge into the shell, put some JBWeld dabs or heavy duty glue on the back edge of the disk.  You do not want the badge to fall out the front.  

P1060248.JPG

P1060300.JPG

P1060305.JPG

P1070994.JPG

• Like 1

On 3/11/2017 at 5:21 PM, keiser31 said:

The back of it probably looks like this without the stud....

radiator badge.jpg

Similar but without the screw. I assume you added that to hold it in place somewhere. It seems to me the collectors usually have this ring removed.

IMG_3560.JPG

35 minutes ago, Dodge1934 said:

Similar but without the screw. I assume you added that to hold it in place somewhere. It seems to me the collectors usually have this ring removed.

IMG_3560.JPG

Not mine, so I added nothing. I just plucked the photo off of the internet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2017 at 0:42 PM, unimogjohn said:

P1060248.JPG

P1060300.JPG

P1060305.JPG

P1070994.JPG

You will be happy to know that the badge popped out quite nicley with the proper size socket and a hammer.

No damage to anything.

Thanks for the input