Steering gear box rebuild

kreed

Finally getting started on 65 GS restoration  and want to rebuild my steering gear box . Would appreciate any suggestions . Found a couple of places - one in Oxnard called  Rebuilding Factorty and another in Washington state called Red Head - review as are good for both but wondering if anyone has any suggestions . Thanks 

KReed

ROA 14549

DIY. ;)

Really, it's not hard.  IMHO, getting it on and off the car is a bigger PITA than the rebuild itself.  One thing you might want to consider is changing to a quicker ratio box.  If you're going to do that, you might want to think about whether you'd ever want to back to stock.  Most replacements come with a core charge; a lot of rebuild shops keep whatever parts they take out (and charge quite a bit extra for changing the ratio)  As such, you might be ahead of the game to buy a box at a junkyard and turn that one in for the core or use it as the core for a box with a different ratio.

It is my opinion that rebuilding a steering box is high on the difficulty list unless the person is a very experienced mechanic. There is a good chance mistakes will be made by the first time rebuilder even if they are an average mechanic by trade . So many possibilities for error and there is no margin for the slightest mistake. The shop manual is pretty good but its a lot to take in. It takes a lot of balls (literally) to rebuild one of these.:D

Once you do a couple, I agree its not too bad.

If you buy another box off the shelf, be aware that the internal stops may not be set right, in which

case you could have a car with a terrible turning radius when you get done. I put a quick ratio box in my GTO and had to take

it right back out because the car had the turning radius of an 18 wheeler.