What car is Mom posing with?

lump

In the late 1950's, early 60's, my Mom was a civilian secretary for an important Colonel in the US Air Force at the old Wright Field (and/or Wright Patterson Air Force Base, WPAFB) here in the greater Dayton, Ohio area. We were members of AACA and other car clubs at the time, and there was also a small club at the base, made up of military personnel. Naturally Mom and Dad became friends with several of them. One day a newspaper did an article on the military old car club, and Mom took me there that day. I was too young, and hardly remember it. A photographer asked Mom to pose with this old touring car (she was an attractive Mom, although I had no idea at the time). I've seen this photo a hundred times, but I don't remember whose car it was, or what make or year. I'm sure this one will be easy for you guys, and I'm interested to learn. It might even be a car I rode in and will remember who owned it. Ideas? 

Pat w antiquecar at Wright Field LO Rez.jpg

Edited by lump (see edit history)

What is commonly known as a Crane-Simplex but I think the correct name is Simplex Crane Model 5.  It might be this actual 1916 car as it was "owned by an Ohio collector for two decades"  from 1949.    http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/photo/278988,11896/1916-Crane-Simplex-Model-5_photo.aspx

16-Simplex-Crane-Model-5-DV-09_GC_01.jpg

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

27 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

What is commonly known as a Crane-Simplex but I think the correct name is Simplex Crane Model 5.  It might be this actual 1916 car as it was "owned by an Ohio collector for two decades"  from 1949.    http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/photo/278988,11896/1916-Crane-Simplex-Model-5_photo.aspx

16-Simplex-Crane-Model-5-DV-09_GC_01.jpg

Ah HA! This was exactly what I had hoped...that the brand of the car might remind me of who owned it. Benny Goldflies was a prominent member of the Southern Ohio Chapter of AACA in the 50's thru the 70's, and he had several nice cars. I often remember my Dad mentioning how much he admired Benny's Crane Simplex, so this might indeed be the very same photo, and it is likely Benny's car. Benny had two daughters and two sons, and I spent time with them when I was a kid, so I may have ridden in this car (we kids tended to ride together in each other's cars, so we could hang out). 

I think I recall hearing that Joe Antrim (also of the Southern Ohio Chapter of AACA) had bought the Crane Simplex after Benny's passing, but I don't recall seeing the car in Joe's collection..which I was around quite a bit as a young adult. 

Thanks, Guys! 

Edited by lump (see edit history)

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
7 hours ago, brasscarguy said:

The heck with the car, your moms hot!!!!!

just sayin'

brasscarguy

LOL. Well, thank you, Brasscarguy. Although I didn't realize it most of the time, my Mom was indeed an attractive lady. She would have been in her late 20's at the time of that photo. Tragically, she and my dad and my grandma were all killed in a tragic auto accident in 1978, when she was just 44 years old. Today she and my Dad would both be 84 years old. 

Happy holidays to you.