HPOF question

Bob Hill

I am considering taking my 85 Riviera to the Winter Meet in Ocala and trying for HPOF certification.  I don't foresee any issues with it since almost everything on the car is original with the exception of course of maintenance items.  The only exception is that the windows have been tinted with a light aftermarket tint.  Should I remove the tint prior to the show or will the deduction be so small that it shouldn't affect the certification? Also, what about window decals for the AACA and Riviera Owner's Association? Should I remove those as well?

Thanks

I've never judged HPOF or even taken the class on it. 

For points judging Page 2-17 states " Badges and license plate frames with club names other than AACA will NOT be subject to a deduction for authenticity, if they are appropriate to the vehicle and displayed in good taste. They will be judged for condition ". So I wouldn't worry about stickers that are not over the top.

My general understanding from reading the guidelines is that you would get the glass marked as out of compliance. So long as you stayed withing the 24-30 overall points of compliance you'd still be fine.

Will be curious to see if I'm right (-=

• Like 2

The aftermarket tint is possibly a problem, but if you like the tint, I would leave it on the car. If you are thinking about removing the tint anyway, then I would suggest removing it before the meet. It is always possible that it could be the one extra item that prevents you from receiving an HPOF certification, but I would think that it is unlikely if the car is otherwise original. I received both HPOF and AACA Original with my previously owned 1984 Riviera that was probably in similar original condition as your car except it did not have aftermarket tint.

If you haven't removed tint before, I hope this will be helpful. I recently purchased a Cadillac XLR out of state that had aftermarket tinting that was so dark that the car was illegal in my state. I had never removed tinting before, and found numerous suggestions on the internet. The one that worked for me was: heat the OUTSIDE of the glass with a heat gun. Don't get it too hot and keep the gun moving. Get under a corner of the film with a razor blade, and you will be able to pull the film off in large pieces.  3M adhesive remover gets the residual glue ( there wasn't a lot of it) off of the glass. I hope this works well for you or anyone else out there who might be contemplating this job. I was apprehensive, as I thought this was going to be a huge mess, but it was actually fairly easy.