Horn ‘Standard Metal Mfg’ 1920s? need application info

Ric Dean

Horn ‘Standard Metal Mfg Co’ 1920s? need application info

I have few questions about this Horn, can anyone tell me the date range of this style? assuming that it is an aftermarket item what is the proper way to mount it;  if it mounts to a 1920s or earlier round windshield post it would spin when depressing the button as there is a lot of resistance in it. Would there be another bracket needed?

Thank you, Ric

Horn Standard Metal Mfg Co 3b 700p .jpg

Horn Standard Metal Mfg Co Lable 1b 700p .jpg

Horn Standard Metal Mfg Co RHside 700p .jpg

Edited by Ric Dean
mistake (see edit history)

Keep in mind that it was probably sold from a hardware store or auto parts store (they were sometimes the same store, back in the day!), for anyone to buy and use any way they chose. Some smaller cars were likely fitted with them...as were some open cab-style trucks, etc. But the smaller size makes it SEEM correct on a vintage motorcycle, and so that is a market where such horns as this are popular, and valuable. 

But I would think it would be a stretch to say it is a "motorcycle horn." Rather, it is merely a small accessory horn, like you might choose to put on a motorcycle, bicycle, or small car. 

• Like 1

Looks like the mounting bracket is made  for clipping onto handlebars. I think that is the reason everyone assumes that cycles are  the market it was primarily made for. I agree it could be adapted for other uses and probably many were.

• Like 1