56 Buick special project questions

Martin56

Hi, 

Already had a topic in the me and my Buick topic but start new one here on advice from the admins.

I have a new question, this time about the body to chassis mounts.

The first mount, seen from the front. Net to the radiator. Does there have to be a rubber mount as well? Mine is filled with steel plates.

IMG_20170111_195646.jpg

Kind regards,

Martin

Edited by MrEarl
Clarify title (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Martin56 said:

thank you for the link, but witch one was normaly used for a 56 Special coupé?

Above my pay grade.  I just measured the old ones on my car and ordered appropriately. Do you still have one mount with the old rubber in there?

The original set up on my 55's was a fibered pad with shims as needed.  The pad is the same as used on convertibles in all locations (first choice on the link in post #7).  I made some pads on one of mine (still in service) from an old radiator hose...2 pads plus shims on each side.

The rubber will keep it from squeaking.  Yours seems to have homemade shims...you may need to retain some or all.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, old-tank said:

The original set up on my 55's was a fibered pad with shims as needed.  The pad is the same as used on convertibles in all locations (first choice on the link in post #7).  I made some pads on one of mine (still in service) from an old radiator hose...2 pads plus shims on each side.

The rubber will keep it from squeaking.  Yours seems to have homemade shims...you may need to retain some or all.

This makes perfect sense.  I would image then two pieces of rubber could be placed on top and bottom of the current shim as shown in the picture. 

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

I found out that there is a transmission oil cooler in the factory radiator.

My Buick have An aftermarked oilcooler in front of the radiator.

I was wondering how this was connected originally and if somebody have some experience with 2 coolers on the car.

IMG_20170120_093300.jpg

It was connected with steel lines from the transmission. The cooler is just a pipe that goes through the bottom of the radiator. Depending on the type of external cooler, it should work better. The stock cooler is a fluid transfer that cools the transmission by using the engine coolant. If your transmission overheats, your engine overheats. The term cooler is also subjective considering the coolant normalizes around 180-195 degrees F so you're not really cooling the lines any more than normal operation temps. Running it in line would be like a pre-heater. 

Others have opinions on this subject. When I had my Dynaflow rebuilt, I was told the cooler the transmission the longer it'll last and they pointed me to a horizontal ribbed HD Hayden cooler. I haven't looked back. 

• Like 1

As Benjamin said, it is just a coil that runs through the radiator.  Pump line in and return line out.  Works ok but not like a independent unit.  And I concur, heat will kill a transmission.   If I remember correctly the early Dyna Flo has a small cooler off the pan.   

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 11:21 AM, old-tank said:

I made some pads on one of mine (still in service) from an old radiator hose...

Excellent material for pads, muffler hangers, etc is rubber conveyer belting from a quarry or mine. Usually about 1/2" or so thick and Kevlar reinforced. Quite common stuff around here. If anyone needs some they can have it for the cost of shipping............Bob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the answers!

Can somebody tell me how to connect the wires for the blower motor and the low and high switch for this? I prefer easy comments, i am not really and electrical engineer.

I am missing the 2 White blocks connected between the wires of this

The white blocks I'm guessing are the ballast resistors. The correct replacement resistor for the blower is a 1.35 ohm resistor, which is part number ICR11 at NAPA. You can look up the interchange and get it anywhere local. Basically the high setting wire (brown) will be connected to the resistor with the blower motor on the same terminal, while the low setting wire (yellow?) is on the other resistor terminal.

101676_Engine_Web.JPG

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
On 1-2-2017 at 11:32 PM, Beemon said:

The white blocks I'm guessing are the ballast resistors. The correct replacement resistor for the blower is a 1.35 ohm resistor, which is part number ICR11 at NAPA. You can look up the interchange and get it anywhere local. Basically the high setting wire (brown) will be connected to the resistor with the blower motor on the same terminal, while the low setting wire (yellow?) is on the other resistor terminal.

101676_Engine_Web.JPG

Those White resistors are they Both 1.35? Or is that only the big one? I need Them Both.

I now have a good blower motor and i have a part of the wires that Comes from the remote panel under the Dash.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

The blowermotor is working properly thanks for helping!

Next question, the Horn button doesnt work as it should, when turning the steeringwheel the Horn goes on.

I looked inside and in my shopmanual and in think i'am missing something. 

See picture for what i have.

Does anybody now the answer for me?

IMG_20170415_144705.jpg

IMG_20170415_144715.jpg

16 hours ago, Beemon said:

Could it also be the brass bushing in the steering column? 

It depends on how tight i put the adjusting nut. If i loosen IT a bit it stops but Then i cant use the Horn properly

Are the isulators and contact plate new for sale?