Source for felt wheel seals

erichill

The restoration shop I work part time in we use felt boot liners we source at the local farm store.  We punch them out with sharpened pipes, hole saws and anything which is the correct diameter.  Our felt seals are usually yellow.  Gary

Felt seals are usually made from #1 (F-1) white wool felt or #2 grey felt.  The #1 grade is dense and stiff, the #2 or F-3 grade a little less so.  The i.d., where the rotation typically takes place, is cut just a few thousandths smaller than the shaft o.d.  The felt doesn't want to be compressed very much, it's just to wipe the shaft and prevent flow.  You can probably buy it at MSC Direct or McMaster-Carr. 

As mentioned above, there are lots of ways to cut it.  You night find a hole-saw just the right size.  I've used copper pipe fittings and exhaust pipe adapters to get thin-wall tools.  PVC pipe doesn't work.  You may need to turn the piece in a lathe to get the right diameter.  Cut or file a knife edge on the inner or outer surface depending on whether you are cutting i.d. or o.d.  I've used my 12 ton HF press to cut a number of felt washers.

At one time, there was a standard list prepared by SAE for the car industry with standard sizes, maybe from the 1920s or '30s.  I've never seen the list but have seen references to these standardized parts.  A good industrial bearing supplier may actually have access to exactly the sizes you need.

felt_seals_retainer.jpg

felt_seals_die_edge.jpg

felt_seals_press.jpg