COMMON SCAM: If you receive a private message from a new member offering a part, make sure to thoroughly verify it. It’s your responsibility to ensure it’s not a scam. Report any suspicious users immediately. ×

1961 to 1963 Chevy 409 car

1 hour ago, Curti said:

Beware of clones ! Do your homework. I know a guy that got stuck on one. 

The only way that you can proof a real 09 car is paperwork and or build sheet. Back in the 80s, I could build a 09 car and without paperwork, you could not tell. Here is one that I cloned from a 327 4 speed car that I did in 1980. The car came from a farm in OK out in the farm fields rotting away. 1/4s buried up to the rockers with red clay. The farmer blew the engine in his pickup in 65 and jerk the engine out for his truck.

20161128_160545.jpg

20161128_160700.jpg

20161128_160722.jpg

20161128_162249.jpg

20161128_162257.jpg

20161128_162306.jpg

On 1/7/2017 at 8:18 PM, bobg1951chevy said:

Primarily looking for a real 09, but it would (1) have to have  documentation and (2) must be a 2 door sedan, no hardtop or convert.

Thanks for sharing the links you found.

A documented 09 can run into 6 digits. Most 09s were blown up because that is what we did. We raced the dog crap out of these cars. That is why I laugh when I see a high mileage muscle car saying original engine. Your best bet would be a 340HP with a power glide because these engines were not widely abused.  Forget the 1961 409 cars they only made 142 plus and most were raced and that only came with 3 or 4 speeds and they were 360HP. The blocks were very bad in 1961 and most were blown up. 1961 is a real high dollar car. 1962 also only came with a 3 or 4 speed. The option was a 380 for single carb and the 409 HP had dual carbs. 1963 was the 1st year for the power glide with the low 340 HP with hydraulic lifters. Hope this helps. If you have any questions about 09 cars, be more than happy to help. Been with the W engines since they came out in Oct of 1957. If I do not know the answer, I will find it with the connections that I have. 

Is this car your looking for a dream car or you use to have one? Show-race or a cruiser? Just curious. 

Here is an Alaska 409 plate that hangs in my office along with a 1952 Michigan plate that represents the state and year that I was born. The magazine also hangs in my office that I have had since 1963. The engine is from a boat that was famous in the offshore racing from NY to FL in the mid-60s. It's a 409 with twin turbos.

Thanks

Dave

409 stuff (2).jpg

409 stuff (11).jpg

409s (13).jpg

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

19 hours ago, bobg1951chevy said:

Primarily looking for a real 09, but it would (1) have to have  documentation and (2) must be a 2 door sedan, no hardtop or convert.

Thanks for sharing the links you found.

A documented 09 can run into 6 digits. Most 09s were blown up becouse that is what we did. We raced the dog crap out of these cars. That is why I laugh when I see a high millage muscle car saying original engine. 

5 hours ago, bobg1951chevy said:

I have run across this '63 clone when searching.

A nice looking car, with its rally wheels, still hoping to see a true 09.

Prices I've seen range from 20k to 90k, clone to original.

An original has been on my bucket list, will continue my search.

Thanks C.T. 

Can you give me the info on the documented 09 for 20k?. I have a buyer. Thanks

Dave

13 hours ago, bobg1951chevy said:

I have run across this '63 clone when searching.

A nice looking car, with its rally wheels, still hoping to see a true 09.

Prices I've seen range from 20k to 90k, clone to original.

An original has been on my bucket list, will continue my search.

Thanks C.T. 

I read this as: 20 for the clone 90 for the original.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 0:36 AM, countrytravler said:

Can you give me the info on the documented 09 for 20k?. I have a buyer. Thanks

Dave

As I stated above, the range I have seen is 20k to 90k, clone to original, meaning 20k is a clone, 90k is an original.

I now see Curti has explained my wording.

Sorry for the confusion.

7 hours ago, countrytravler said:

I'm not a fan of '64's.

If I was selling this white '64, for 85K,  I would have attached a form of documentation to the ad.

8 hours ago, bobg1951chevy said:

I'm not a fan of '64's.

If I was selling this white '64, for 85K,  I would have attached a form of documentation to the ad.

A phone call and ask for docs. That is what I do when shopping for a correct car. Very few ads will post docs. US or Canadian dollars? 

This may sound strange but it works when you start to get into the high dollar cars.

I have done this a few times. I have the seller buy me a one-way ticket to check the car. If the car is what is claimed, I will buy it plus pay for the ticket. If the car is not what the seller describes, you buy your way home. If he hesitates to this agreement, RUN!! This can be done on a weekend. Make sure you have all the info to inspect the car.

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

14 hours ago, countrytravler said:

A phone call and ask for docs. That is what I do when shopping for a correct car. Very few ads will post docs. US or Canadian dollars? 

This may sound strange but it works when you start to get into the high dollar cars.

I have done this a few times. I have the seller buy me a one-way ticket to check the car. If the car is what is claimed, I will buy it plus pay for the ticket. If the car is not what the seller describes, you buy your way home. If he hesitates to this agreement, RUN!! This can be done on a weekend. Make sure you have all the info to inspect the car.

Interesting approach, I like it!

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:36 AM, countrytravler said:

I had the opportunity to talk to a guy this past week, ad sounded like a private owner, with a cell phone, but the background noise was "an operator, over the intercom, paging for service, parts, etc".

I did the one way ticket approach with him, he stuttered, wanted nothing to do with such a deal.

Thank you for this approach !

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

It's not a 2 door sedan, but I know someone that I think still has a heavily documented, restored '62 Belair bubbletop 409 car. He was trying to sell, don't know if he did. I believe about $165,000.

This went for 90k. I was there.

photo (3).JPG

photo (4).JPG