1957 - Help Freeing up Wiper System

Brandon Todd

Hello all! 

It's getting close to time to finally messing with the wiper system on the 57. I have the switch/bezel, motor and all, but the first problem I'm encountering lies with the cable system. The cable seems to be all rusted up "inside" the car and won't budge! I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this type of problem, and if so, how you managed to free it up/get around it? 

Thanks a lot for any advice!

BT

You could put down a sheet of plastic on the floor and then put some PB Blaster or ATF on the length of the cable. Let it soak for a week with several additional applications of whatever product you use.  Then see if it will work. 

Yeah, both good ideas! I tried to sprag PB on it already. But maybe more is what it takes.

Maybe i should clarify too. So far i dont think the cluster of cables in the dash are rusted, i'm meaning the "on/off" cable you pull to turn the motor on. The one the switch controls. It goes through the dash, then firewall, to the motor. But, (at least for me), it seems pretty hard to get to for some reason.

Edited by Brandon Todd (see edit history)

For the 56 the cable is higher in the engine compartment so one can load penetrating oil there and expect some will back flow into the area behind the dash.  

Do the vent cables work freely? 

If so chances are the wiper cable inside the car is ok. The area under the hood may be where the problem is. 

Also make sure the switch on the motor works. On the 56 the cable pulls the switch on the motor. If you can see your switch try to move it with your finger. You may have to disconnect the cable at the switch to do so. But with the cable disconnected you can try the dashboard control to see if it is really a bad cable or bad wiper motor. 

Edited by JohnD1956
i and o are too close on the phone. I've notified the manufacturer of this defect. Awaiting a solution. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Brandon,

Follow the instructions in the 1957 Buick Body manual on the removal of the cable. Disconnect it from your wiper motor, then tie a string (heavy cotton string works the best) to the cable. Make sure that it is 5-6 ft long. Unscrew the wiper control switch from the dash. (2 small Phillips screws). Put them aside in a small bag or something so you don't lose them. Pull the switch away from the dash and disconnect the washer vacuum switch tubes (if you have a washer system installed). Leave those tubes hanging out. then pull the switch and the cable out. You may have to work it through some steel retainers under the hood, but you should be able to pull it out. When you get it totally out, the string should be hanging inside your car, with the remaining string hanging in the engine compartment. DO NOT PULL THE STRING ALL THE WAY THROUGH TO THE DASH!!! MAKE SURE THAT THERE IS A FAIRLY GOOD SIZED LENGTH LEFT IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT.   You will use that string to hook the Boldenwire back up and pull it through to the engine compartment when you have fixed and freed up the cable.

Then once it is out, disassemble the lever, cam, push button, spring, washer, and backing bezel. Take photos of how it all comes apart so you can put it back together again.

DO NOT TRY to move the cable using the lever at this time. The lever is very fragile and very prone to breakage. Don't ask me how I know this. :) 

Once you have the cable assembly by itself, spray it liberally with the PB blaster (Like JohnD1956 said) and put it in a large ziplock for a week. Let it marinate in the PB, add more if you like, then after a week, take it out. Carefully use some needle nose pliers and GENTLY tug at the end where it hooks to the wiper motor. Try to free its movement gently. If it doesn't budge, you could try a little heat on the wire from a propane torch at low, just don't burn any plastic sheathing (shouldn't be any except up near the dash).

Just work it back and forth like that until it is free. It will free up eventually. Once it is moving ok, spray more PB blaster in the cable opening to keep it lubed up.

Reverse the procedure and install in the dash. Use the string to pull the cable back into the engine compartment. It won't be easy, but it will work.

Hope this helps!

Jim

PS..while you have the cable disconnected, remove the wiper motor and make sure everything works freely. Replace the vacuum lines with new ones as well. All that tubing is available at AutoZone or O'Reilly or NAPA or your local parts store.

Good Luck!

Edited by 1957buickjim
addtional details. (see edit history)
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, 1957buickjim said:

Jim, that is an amazing write-up. Thank you so much!! I still need to get the body manual, all i have is the chassis. I'm going to follow this method exactly and let you know how it goes. THANK YOU.

PS, i'm going to put an ad up now for a body manual. It's way past time I get one.

Edited by Brandon Todd (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, Caballero2 said:

Brandon Todd:

When you have finally succeeded in this bit of restoration, watch out that you do not continue until you have fully restored the whole car as 57buickjim did.  Don't ask how I know...

Dan

Whys that? Does it mess with the cable alignment or something?

Careful Obi-Dan-Kenobi, Young Jedi's such as Brandon need to be slowly brought into the Buick Force...if brought in to suddenly, it could overwhelm them...

BTW, nice before and after pics!

Brandon,

Heed what Obi-Dan says...he is a man with many talents and of high ranking in the Buick Force....

:)

• Like 4