Cadillac thermostat information requested

Dynaflash8

I've been looking at a couple 1940 and 1941 Cadillac's.  One of the 1940's has the grill vanes or bars (for lack of a better word) wired open, because the car overheated at one point.  It has not overheated since.  Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there a thermostat that opens and closes the vanes based on the outside temperature?  If that is so, and they are wired open, doesn't that preclude getting any heat from the heater in colder weather?  Where is the thermostat and how does it work?  Are they available to fix a problem like I've described.

Ond of the '41's has the vertical bars removed from the grill.  Do they have anything to do with the engine cooling or the warmth from the heater?

I'm always nervous about getting outside of my element and knowledge.  I've had sixty-some Buicks, one 1954 Packard and never a Cadillac.

Earl, the thermostat is right at the radiator and uses a rod/bar to regulate the opening/closing of the shutter system to increase/decrease the flow of air through the radiator.

The vertical chromed grille bars likely have no significant effect on the amount of air through the radiator. Having the shutters wired open may only slightly delay the time it takes for the coolant to reach operating temperature. Living in the Deep South, and touring as much as we do, mine is wired open for now, warms up easily, and doesn't overheat - and you know how much we drive our yellow '41 Cabriolet. This summer, between mid June and mid-September we drove on the:

AACA Sentimental Tour - Salisbury, NC

CCCA CARavan - Ohio

AACA Founders Tour - Huntingdon, PA

VMCCA Heritage Tour - Grand Rapids, MI

AACA Divisional Tour - Ashland, VA

VMCCA Glidden Tour - North Conway, NH - and even drove it up and down the Mount Washington Toll Road (Steeper than Pikes Peak)

The 1941 Cadillac Series 62 does not steer as lightly as our 1937 Roadmaster 80C, and has a somewhat different driving character. Each are special in their own way, and each are examples I would regret to lose.

So then, if you were to go on tour someplace where the morning temperatures were, let's say 45 degrees, with the shutters wired open, would the heater work, or work well?  You answered my question on the '41, but how about the '40 which is know to have overheated on an occasion until after the shutters were wired open?  I located a new thermostat on eBay yesterday, and the price was (are you sitting down?) $495.  That unusual system scares me off of the car in question a whole bunch.

Earl, search the forums for Jim Otto in Tennessee, who rebuilds these units. Reportedly he did the work for those previously sent to the Fulton Sylphon Division (OEM) of Honeywell until his retirement, and he does those sent to the Packard parts guy in NJ but without a large markup.   I haven't used him YET, but have one for him to do after I remove it.  I tested a used on-hand 'stat in a pan of heated water and that will keep my car on the road during rebuild.  The 'stat is a bit of a PIA to remove on my 1934 Pierce.

For everyone, be sure to lubricate your shutter pivots, especially the upper ones, from time to time.  I failed to do so, and my 'stat in my 1934 wasn't able to overcome the friction AND the factory spring--which apparently caused my 'stat to fail and the shutters to stay almost completely closed.  Ran very warm when it shouldn't have but didn't boil.

For Cadillac folks with two upper radiator hoses, you COULD run TWO of Restoration Supply's 160* in-hose poppet 'stats to replace the Sylphon, but you also need to wire the shutters wide open.

Jim Otto's phone : 865-966-9494. Call him soon. Fast turnaround , superb work , very reasonable pricing. Jim is a retired Sylphon engineer , does this work better than anyone. I always recommend everyone to get their t'stat rebuilt by Jim ASAP , whether working or not. These 'stats do not have an infinite shelf life ( ! ) , and neither do any of us.  Happy New Year !  - Carl

P.S. , Jim is in Knoxville , TN.

Edited by C Carl
Add P.S. (see edit history)

Earl, it may just be possible to substitute a manual cable to control the shutters, bypassing the thermostat. I've not found it a problem on the '41 Cadillac to leave them blocked open - disconnected from the 'stat. The engine warms up in a reasonable time, and the 2 heaters under the front seat, as well as the defogger seem adequate, even with the top down, which is how we generally like to use ours. If I get the spare time, I'll likely ask to have mine rebuilt since it has been this way from before I bought the Caddy in 2006.

Thanks to all.  I'm copied Mr. Otto's phone info and will store it in my computer.  The '41 came back alive today after I'd made an offer on the '40.  So, I don't know yet what's going to happen.  Maybe tomorrow will tell.  I have an idea that the '41 could handle A/C from Classic Auto Air in Tampa.  It has a big grill and room to work up front of the engine.  Would just need to have compressor and/or alternator brackets made.  Friend of mine had an A/C unit built for his '38 Packard and got the brackets made locally.  He did need to shift to an alternator.  He also is an electrician and figured out how to run most of the car on 6volts and only the A/C setup on 12-volts.  Even his lights and gauges are still 6volts.  I like both the 40 and 41.  If the one dealer doesn't take my offer on the 40 I'll probably buy the '41.  Judy likes the skirts and automatic on the '41.  She likes the free standing headlights, sidemounts, and front fender lights on the 40.  What is that, 3 to 2?  haha