Tinkering with the 55 sunliner

junkyardjeff

Put the original small hub caps back on and put a working clock in the dash,the electric clock did not work so I found a wind up clock and had it gone through. I would like to get the electric clock working but since the 5 dollar swapmeet cost me 100 to get working it will be in there for a few years,I also put power brakes on it so it needed a power brake pedal pad and found one for 5 dollars.

100_7179.JPG

100_7189.JPG

100_6899.JPG

• Like 2

That's a nice looking car.  I consider myself a Chevy man; however, I've always liked the tri-five Fords almost as much as the tri-five Chevys.  I even have a 1955 Ford 2 door Ranch Wagon that I like very much.

Are those Daytona Turkey Rod Run stickers on the left side of your windshield?  If not, they sure appear to be similar.

Cheers,

Grog

My dad bought it new and was ordered as cheap as he could get it except he got the 4 bbl motor and not much more,thinking about making it as I would have ordered it if only I can find a working 3 speed o/d to put in it. After having a few Olds with the 4 speed hydramatic that Ford o matic sucked putting it mildly so that is what it has a slightly newer drivetrain in it,if it would have had a manual trans I would have left it alone so now that I have gathered all the parts to put a Y block back in I have found everything to put a manual trans in but not one with o/d so do I go automatic again or manual. From what I was told in 55 to get the 4 bbl motor a automatic trans had to be ordered but if I was the one ordering it I would have ordered it V8 3 speed o/d with dual exhaust and had the dealer supply all the needed parts to go to a 4 bbl motor.

1 hour ago, junkyardjeff said:

My dad bought it new and was ordered as cheap as he could get it except he got the 4 bbl motor and not much more,thinking about making it as I would have ordered it if only I can find a working 3 speed o/d to put in it. After having a few Olds with the 4 speed hydramatic that Ford o matic sucked putting it mildly so that is what it has a slightly newer drivetrain in it,if it would have had a manual trans I would have left it alone so now that I have gathered all the parts to put a Y block back in I have found everything to put a manual trans in but not one with o/d so do I go automatic again or manual. From what I was told in 55 to get the 4 bbl motor a automatic trans had to be ordered but if I was the one ordering it I would have ordered it V8 3 speed o/d with dual exhaust and had the dealer supply all the needed parts to go to a 4 bbl motor.

What drive train do you have in it now?

Cheers,

Grog

4 minutes ago, capngrog said:

What drive train do you have in it now?

Cheers,

Grog

351-W and C-4 trans,maverick 8 inch rear end and granada disc brakes,the disc brakes and rear end will stay when it gets another Y block. I want to be able to stop and like the highway gears,the tallest gears available in 55 were 3.30 and it has 3.00 in it now and should do fine with a Y block and most likely a FMX trans. I really would like to put a manual trans in it but its just a cruiser so it will most likely stay a automatic and the FMX is the latest version of the original trans.

4 hours ago, poci1957 said:

Glad to finally see a photo Jeff, I always enjoy the unusual sight of a 1955-56 Ford with solid paint and not two-tone.  

Its kind of 3 shades of the color right now,its had some repairs years ago and I painted what I repaired with only the hood and doors and possible the trunk lid the only original paint.

• 1 month later...