Want to rent a convertible Riviera

Guest Trond Rane

Guest Trond Rane
Hello out there, Riv fans in the Boston area!!
I'm a happy owner of a -63 Riv. Overhauled motor and gearbox, new painted and a beauty for me. Next year in June me and my wife will fly in too Boston, visit some relative there, and further on to Toronto to visit my daughter, her husband and my newest grandchild. I would like to bring my Riv to Amerika but it is too expencive for me. Therefore I should like too rent a Riv. Prefer a –83-85 convertible but any thing safe to drive will be ok. I am 68 years of age and like to think of myself as a good driver. I do not have any injuries the last 40 years, so I hope any brave owners would be safe. We want to rent the car for a periode of 14 to 20 days.
Anyone? ??

DSCF0951.JPG

DSCF1012_(2).jpg

Mr. Rane, there is a company that might solve your needs.

I saw it mentioned in a news-item from Hagerty Insurance.

The company is called "Classics&Exotics" (without spaces

between the words);  the company evidently is a legitimate

middleman which puts antique car owners together with

people who want to rent antique cars.  They say it is like

the "AirBNB" middleman who puts houses and renters together.

Normally, insurance prevents people from renting their cars.

However, Hagerty Insurance may be involved with this company,

and the insurance issue is evidently taken care of.

Here is a link to Hagerty's story.  You may not find a Riviera

convertible, but there might be something else you would like to rent:

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/Articles/2016/10/19/AirBnB-for-cars

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Hi Tronde,

Both times we were in the States we used All State Insurance and paid the premium for a month. By the time the next payment was due, we had already left. The agent we insured with was quite ok knowing we would not be continuing insurance. It was a great relief knowing we were covered for collision damage. Both times we had purchased the cars and not rented, a great way to see the States in something different.

just my two bobs worth

Rodney

Budget Car Rentals in the US can rent you a new Camaro convertible with the ability to cross the US-Canadian border. Your idea of an old car is nice, but nice doesn't always follow the dream. And take the Lewiston Bridge when you cross.

I am the same age as you and have similar thoughts up really neat things to do. My memory is good enough so they don't last long.

About 30 years ago my Wife stayed home and took care of our two. She also did daycare for four others. One brisk Winter, picture perfect  day she decided on a Walt Disney style adventure to the grocery store two blocks away with all the kids, walking in the crisp, crunchy snow, and bundled up. Just like a page from a storybook.

I drove home from work that afternoon in fairly heavy snow and there, on the sidewalk on Main Street, were all seven of them huddled together and crying. I couldn't tell what was tears and what was melted snow. They all scrambled into my car like I had just saved them from Loki. Sniffling and crying, she told me about the great adventure gone wrong. Not bad to think about that story before you go off touring two foreign countries in a 30 year old car you borrowed.

I am in a little canal town called Brockport just before you get to Niagara Falls. Stop in with the Camaro, I can take you to a great rural American spot for lunch. 585-797-7421

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1