Opinions on style and popularity 61 or 63 Buick

StylishOne

Stylish One, please don't feel the need to buy

what is "popular."  If you did, you would be 

buying only 1955-57 Chevrolet 2-door hardtops!

Four-door hardtops of any make and any year

are overlooked, and are therefore reasonably priced.

Are you looking to own this briefly for profit and "flip" it?

Myself, I like the 1961's styling better.

But feel free to buy the car that you yourself appreciate.

1961 GM big cars are an interesting quirk in the old car timeline IMO.  When I was starting out in the early 1980s that generation of GM big cars began seeing some early collector interest, particularly Chevys.  1962-64 models were very common but I almost never saw any 1961s.  I found out later that 1961 was a relatively slow year for sales and particularly the 1962-64 2dr hardtop roofline was very popular when new compared to the "bubbletop".  However, by the late 1990s people were really seeking the "bubbletops" and apparently recognized the 1961 models as a distinctive one year only model stylistically bridging the way from the big 1959-60 cars with lots of trim to the clean-lined 1962-64 models.

So in answer to your question the 1961s have their own special following, but the 1962-64 models are at least as nice to own and are probably cheaper and more plentiful.  And the one year styling is the reason IMO, good luck, Todd C

Thanks guys.. Went to see a 63 this weekend. The beveled edge styling seems to have started mostly in 63 as we see with back window styling and tail of quarters.. Plus the famous look of the Riviera roofline, a beautiful timeless design ..Caddy worked that style cue for many years . The best example to me is the 67 Eldo, which I like more all the time.

Getting back to the '61 versus 63.. Don't get me wrong I like '63  very much, but what strikes me more and more with styling is the proportion of the overhangs either in front of front wheel ( 77-79 Mark V comes to mind, I sold mine cause I couldnt get past that front overhang ) or after rear wheels , which I feel the 63 is guilty of after seeing it again in person. So it bothers my sense of esthetics mostly in the 6 window format, but not so much in other body styles. 

The '61 however seems to have a better proportion there in quarters , and yes.. a quirky cool dash and distinctive overall exterior look. Even more of an old world touch to me is the front and rear armrests, and grip handles on back of front seat seems a bit more gracious to me. So my vote became '61.. 

Anyone else bothered by proportions in styling

2 hours ago, StylishOne said:

Anyone else bothered by proportions in styling

I guess it depends on the car.  I agree that the extra-long front overhang on 1970s Marks, Eldorado and others is a bit ridiculous but I like it (full disclosure, I do not own one).  Do I like them for nostalgia, outrageousness or actual beauty?  A good question, it is certainly not for function.  But back to the Buicks, my dad had a tasteful black 1963 Electra 225 (2dr) and I also think the clean crisp lines echoed the Riviera.  I agree the rear overhang was a little disproportional but that was the way it was on most cars of that period, bigger is better and big trunk you know.  Good luck whichever you choose, Todd C       

For a long hood of the era, nothing beats a 69-72 Grand Prix (by order of John the Z it is longer than a Continental MK III). Radiator shroud needed a special extension for the fan.

Difference in the two B-body wheelbases (e.g. Catalina vs Bonneville) was mainly in the trunk - do you want to fit 2 bodies or 4 ?  And then there was the Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special Brougham. On my departed 67 the rear doors were longer than the front.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)