A Vega curiosity

Guest prs519

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 9:25 PM, bobg1951chevy said:

Do you guys remember when  tailgate glass on full size Chevys disappeared into the tailgate, via a window crank and regulator ?

Back in the early '70's, Vega  did basically the same thing, on the other end of the vehicle, but not by design.

Working for GM in the rustbelt (Cleveland, Ohio), I witnessed it all.

It began with the Vega cowls trapping salt, moisture and water.

Quietly, the cowl silently rotted away, one bite at a time. Then the firewall ...........

Owners became aware of the phenomenon while driving briskly along,   moving air would be felt on the drivers face and forehead.

Ah, an open window the driver thought, so windows cranks were turned tightly  to seal the windows tight, but the breeze continued.

No more window cranks to tighten, all glass was closed, or were they ?

Fact is, the lower channel / support of the windshield cowl area had deteriorated, the windshield was sinking like a sunset, into the rotting cowl, leaving an open gap, big then bigger,  at the top of the windshield to body area, by the visors and inside rear view mirror.

Being a unibody construction, the sinking windshield was the initial "clue" of a very rotted cowl, firewall area.

ASM's (area service managers) employed by Chevrolet were buying Vegas  back left and right.

S-C-R-A-P-P-E-D was written on the windshield, with various additional codes, the Vegas were then loaded on trucks, taken to the crusher, the end of every Vega, with that death note on the windshield.

Lordstown, Ohio  became a hot spot of criticism and investigation for assembly plant designs and assembly procedures.

I'm betting the path between Detriot and Lordstown looked like a worn out carpet.

I would not have wanted to be anyone employed by GM, associated with the Vega program, at that time.

A tough end for the little Vegas, who began life with good intentions.

If the Vega "survived" the sliding windshield scenario, that Vega certainly became a candidate for the replacement of rusted out front fenders, under the factory warranty.

Once the car appeared "whole again", it then became a candidate for the engine replacement.

Never ending liabilities.

They were addressing the engine problem in 76 as well, new engine, even a 5 year 60,000 mile warranty on the engine. Boasting about no more piston wear,  they tried but it was too late. I don't know why they continued the Vega H bodies after the new H body Monzas were already out? 

engine 10003.jpg

engine 20003.jpg

On 1/6/2017 at 8:06 AM, Larry Schramm said:

I remember in the early 80's Toyota had problems with cylinder heads cracking.  You would go in for a tune up and get plugs, wires, points, and an new cylinder head.

In the late 80's Honda had a severe rust problem in the northern states where there were stories of cars going over railroad tracks and the car would crack at the front of dash.  They even had specialized service dealers to repair the rust issues on these cars. 

All manufacturers had their issues.  Some more discussed than others.

the honda rust issue was more than a cracked dash. the entire sub frame would rust out in less that 3 years. the front crossmember would rust through, and the engine could fall out. this recall was kept kinda quiet, but doing the recall paid honda mechanics very well. 1.2 hours if i remember correctly, and a lot of crossmembers were replaced.another problem the civics had was the electromagnetic choke switch. people wold start the car to warm up with the choke on, it wouldn't open properly, the muffler got hot, and set the carpet in the rear cargo area on fire.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, padgett said:

Difference is that today a manufacturer can publically announce a recall involving safety and a year later parts are still not available. 

They have to announce a safety recall ASAP, to let the owners know that there is a SAFETY issue covers them legally, remember the recent ignition switch issue with GM? Also that recall is voluntary so that buys them time, which is understandable. 

3 hours ago, cheezestaak2000 said:

the honda rust issue was more than a cracked dash. the entire sub frame would rust out in less that 3 years. the front crossmember would rust through, and the engine could fall out. this recall was kept kinda quiet, but doing the recall paid honda mechanics very well. 1.2 hours if i remember correctly, and a lot of crossmembers were replaced.another problem the civics had was the electromagnetic choke switch. people wold start the car to warm up with the choke on, it wouldn't open properly, the muffler got hot, and set the carpet in the rear cargo area on fire.

I think looking at it now the Vega and the Pinto were the first American what became known as "throwaway cars" that failed with multiple problems in mass while still considered new.. These failures did not occur while the car was used car but rather while still owned by the original owner. It was not expected of American Products, but expected on anything imported especially from Asia. In the 70's everyone knew somebody who had an old round top refrigerator in there basement or garage, I think that America was not ready for these disposable products. It was common the hear from people how good their Corolla was back in the 70's, where are they now? As bad as the Vega's were you still come upon a few even with the original engine.

While digging through some of my stuff looking for some interesting Vega stuff to post I found this. I was in the glovebox of a 1976 Hatchback I came upon in a junkyard many years ago, the book was printed in 970 by GM and covers a lot of things to service in detail also. Here is the front and back cover

Service Book.jpg

back cover.jpg

• Like 1