1925 Chrysler 58 distributor

marbeton

Hi,

I need your advice. On my 1925 Chrysler 58, four cylinder is missing some component in the drive to the distributor. I think it's a cover. The instruction book - manual is drawing something, but I do not know what it is. Can someone please send me a picture of what is missing there? Somehow I'd already done it, or if anyone has, I'd bought it. Several photographs of current condition attached.

Thank You

marbeton

1925 Chrysler Four engine.jpg

20161121_144201_resized.jpg

20161121_143708_resized.jpg

20161121_143732_resized.jpg

CCI04122014_0023_Ink_LI.jpg

Hi ,

My 1928 Chrysler 52 and a 27 model 50 I restored had this same drive for the distributor.

The shaft with the gear on it is driven by the tang engaging with the camshaft. There should be a small collar pined to the tang side to stop the gear and shaft from moving, you may have to shim the gear to get the mesh between the distributor gear and this gear shaft.

I think you have a reproduction casting, but the side facing the radiator should be counterbored to take a welsh plug  that has to be tight so that the housing can hold oil to lubricate the gears. You have a third smaller hole facing the radiator, I don't know about the 1925 model but neither of the model 50 or 52 that I have built had this hole, but it is possible the earlier car may have had either a grease fitting or an oiler fitting at this point. Hope this helps.

Sorry unable to load any pictures as I no longer own these cars.

Best regards

Viv.

9 hours ago, viv w said:

Hi ,

My 1928 Chrysler 52 and a 27 model 50 I restored had this same drive for the distributor.

The shaft with the gear on it is driven by the tang engaging with the camshaft. There should be a small collar pined to the tang side to stop the gear and shaft from moving, you may have to shim the gear to get the mesh between the distributor gear and this gear shaft.

I think you have a reproduction casting, but the side facing the radiator should be counterbored to take a welsh plug  that has to be tight so that the housing can hold oil to lubricate the gears. You have a third smaller hole facing the radiator, I don't know about the 1925 model but neither of the model 50 or 52 that I have built had this hole, but it is possible the earlier car may have had either a grease fitting or an oiler fitting at this point. Hope this helps.

Sorry unable to load any pictures as I no longer own these cars.

Best regards

Viv.

Hi Viv, thans for your help. I also think that the third small slot will be to lubricate the gears and the big one is only to cover the camshaft gear. I´d say the casting isn´t reproduction as it has a type number on it, although it´s not easy to read. It´s a pity you don´t have any photos.

marbeton

7 hours ago, keiser31 said:

To be a bit more specific, the Model 58 is a 1926 and may have different parts than the 1925 models. The Model 50 is a 1927 and the Model 52 is a 1928.

Picture 22689.jpg

Hi keiser31, thank you for the information. Are you sure that Budd Mfg. Co. of Philadelphia made also the open cars (Touring) for Chrysler 58? Do you have any documents about it?

Best regards

marbeton

46 minutes ago, vintchry said:

Marbeton , I do not believe the bodies are Budd as there is wuite a bit of wood in them. My Dad and I used to own this car, I have some paperwork for you if you wish to contact me.

hattiesgarage@comcast.net

Hi vintchry, thank you for your offer. Of course I am interested. I also think that Budd made only metal bodies and not wooden. I believe my Touring body was made either by Chrysler or Fisher. I am very interested in the paperwork you mentioned. What exactly is it?

Regards

marbeton

10 hours ago, vintchry said:

Mostly just history on the car, some receipts for items purchased, photos, events where the car was taken and copies of sales and owners manuals. If  you want them they are yours otherwise I will toss them. Rob

Thank you for your reply. I have the sales and owner manual but I am lookig for a service manual. How much would be the rest of the things? Thank you

Regards marbeton

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, vintchry said:

Package was shipped via USPS, first class mail on Dec 8, please keep an eye out for it and let me know you have received it. Merry Christmas, Rob

Hi Rob,

yor package ist just comming. Thank You.

This car is now mine!!!!!! It is wonderfull, that You have my car dokuments. Because my englishis not good, I write You much more later. Some pictures before restorian and after are on my album or here.

I wish You Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

Richard

DSC00157.JPG

P1050459.JPG

20140623_115236.jpg

20150226_095159.mp4

1.jpg

f8nVWLVUXFysW7SpoIZtfthmh5pQxW78wB524ccA6sxrG1jR_Bg6eTUIP9LBFMvefCBX6uo.jpg

ZGfvg4N-m5hKbZatx7CwJc2JsqHuRfoLdeKNM50LQysJnLOsYVRnikB3CvlMAxaFaY8iEVc.jpg

• Like 1