Door Latch Problem

Taylormade

Oh, boy, this isn't going to be good.  I was taking a look at my door latch mechanisms on my 1932 Dodge Brothers DL today.  The driver side front seemed to work fine after I did a little cleaning and lube, but the passenger side was binding badly and just didn't want to move.  So, I began by comparing the two to see if I could spot any differences that might be causing the problem.  Uh, yeah, it didn't take long.  Check this out...

Driver side on the left, passenger on the right.  I'm sure you can spot the problem, even without the arrows I've so thoughtfully provided.  The sheet metal housing on the passenger unit has split in two places and is bent three ways from Sunday.  Notice that the drivers unit is also beginning to split, but hasn't reached the catastrophic failure of the other side.

IMG_7676.jpg

Realistically, the chances of finding replacements is slim to none.  I'm not sure if these could be welded up, but if so, I'm going to have to take them apart.  This brings up my next question - how do you remove the circular springs?  I've seen replacements for sale, so I'm sure they can be removed.

IMG_7678.jpg

This is the back side.  Do I bend the two tabs in the circle to get the spring off?

IMG_7677.jpg

If anyone has run into this problem before, I'd sure like to hear your solution.  I'm afraid the stress on this part means it's going to take a very good weld to fix it.  The thinness of the metal makes me think it's not a feasible fix.

I don't think that you'd have to remove the spring to weld the outer case. With a fine wire I'm sure you could weld those up, The spring , in it's loaded position is probably tighter than if it was released. If you could unload it, it might open up enough to allow you to wiggle it out.