Custom upholstery binding ... anyone doing this?...

trimacar

...other than Enfield Auto Restoration, that is...for years they've been providing a custom service, send them your leather, and they made bindings, hidem welting, and wire-on from it, to match your upholstery project.  As of November 1st this year they no longer provide the service, although the equipment and inventory are for sale to do same.

Is there anyone else out there doing this?  It's a huge loss to those of us who do a little upholstery work, and the loss will be felt by many who are restoring cars now.......

The individual who was doing the work left the company.  They do have the equipment and inventory of raw material and client list for sale, if anyone is interested talk to Steve at Enfield.  I thought about it, but just don't want to get tied down to this at my age.

It's a big problem, for sure.....I've taken wire-on and reworked it with leather, but very time consuming and difficult....sure hope someone picks this up..

I borrowed a skiver this past week, and made enough thin leather for my welting...it's not hard, but time consuming......wire-on is a real problem, though, you can sort of custom make it at home, using a bought wire-on and then covering it with skived leather, but what a pain....and both of these take more time in hours that it's worth, Enfield was a bargain for what you got in return.....

I'd be willing to bet, if anyone takes this over, the price per foot will go up, and rightfully so....I know I'd pay up for some custom wire-on right now!!

• 3 weeks later...

Any more word on this?

My trimmer also used Enfield for this service.

He has purchased a skiver and he let me attempt to use it last week.. Like David said, not hard 

but certainly not an exact science. Seems more like a practice of application and familiarity with a particular

machine seems important to success. ( I ruined a couple pieces)

He is also dreading the process of making the wire-on.

Hey Restorer, How about a nice "sit down" job?

Dennis

No word yet, there was a "hopeful" for buying the equipment, inventory, and client list, but the price may have scared them away.

Personally, I don't think the client list is a big deal.  Once you start making it again, the word would get out.

The skiving was OK.  The real problem, as you mention, Dennis, is wire-on.  You can put a couple of hours into making a 10 foot piece, let's say $50 an hour so $110. or $10 a foot.  Enfield was doing it for around $3 a foot.  And, the problem is, I've seen cars that need 40 or 50 feet of wire-on, I think my '31 Pierce phaeton has more than that, as each door is outlined with it!

I hope someone picks up the ball and gets the equipment.  I'd bet there's a learning curve to using it, but there is some money to be made,

Yes, I sent you a PM also.  If anyone is seriously interested, contact Enfield and they'll send you pictures of the set up for making wire-on, the machine for doing hidem welting, the skiver, and so forth.  The wire-on machine looks about as Rube Goldberg as you can get, with a LOT going on, but it sure worked!!