Oldsmobile, Oldsmobile, Oldsmobile

Not official yet, but the Oldsmobile Club of America (OCA) is considering using our forum! Set this up so they would see how it looked.<P>What do you all thing of the Addition of the OCA? smile.gif" border="0<P>Peter

• 2 weeks later...

I sure hope they do.The BCA forum has had a wealth of knowledge. It seems many Oldsmobile owners visit the BCA forum as well as many Buick owners seem to have had or do have some Oldsmobile experience. It sure would help me out. I have some Oldsmobile questions but feel reluctant to go to the BCA forum to ask.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest scott mich bca # 6619

Congrats,<P>I've been looking for an Olds board just like the BCA one.<P>If it's anything like the BCA one, I'm sure everybody will appreciate it.<P>Thanks,<P>Scott Mich BCA # 6619, OCA # 3947<BR>Assistant Director<BR>Chicagoland Chapter<BR>Buick Club of America<BR>1959 Olds SS-88<BR>1955-76C

Scott, now that there's an Olds Forum here, I have to ask: What is a 1959 Olds SS-88? I am guessing that the car is a Super 88, but that still doesn't explain the "SS" part. I have tried combinations like "Sport Sedan 88", but think that the 4-door hardtops were still referred to as 4-door Holidays. How about Super Stationwagon 88? I'm reaching here. Can you enlighten us?<P>Thanks!

Centurion,<P>Correct, the 4 dr. hard tops were called "Holiday Sports Sedans" This was true in all the series, such as the Dynamic 88, Super 88 and the "98" series. This is the series that had the roofline also refered to as "the flat top hard top". It had the rear window that wrapped around. That is where the "SS-88" designation is from.<P>Also available was what was called the SceniCoupe. This was more like a fast back rear window, and also a hardtop.<P>Tomsriv,<P>As stated above my car is a Super 88 Holiday<BR>Sports Sedan.<P>It is an ALL original car. It had 46K when I bought it 5 years ago, and now has 59K.<P>I have only replaced the exhaust, brakes, battery, belts and hoses, and tune up parts. <BR>I also changed the good bias ply tires with radials, boy what a difference.<P>I recently purchased a 1959 Olds Dealer's Book, called a "Feature Folio" on E bay, what a wealth of information. I learned that on the rear window of the scenic coupes, they offered rear sun visors, that looked just like the front ones!<P>They also offered get this, a "Celebrtiy<BR>Sedan". A car built for above average height men! The roomiest of all Rocket Oldsmobiles! It offered more roominess: more head room, more leg room, and more entrance room.!<BR>It looks like this is achieved with a re-dimensioning of the interior components, as I doubt if the car was actualy bigger. It isn't 100% clear from the specs.<P>Scott Mich OCA # 3947, BCA # 6619<BR>1959 Olds Super 88 Holiday Sports Sedan<BR>1955 Buick Roadmaster Convertible # 76C

Everything I've ever heard indicates the Celebrity Sedan or Coupe is a post sedan with window frames. This was the case on up into the late 60s when they began calling them Town Sedans. I dare say there was more headroom in one of them than in a flat-top, and might be why some Buick and Cadillac C-body cars used the arced six window roofline instead of the flat roof. The flat-top was a dramatically styled car though- right in step with its times.

I recieved my Jan. 2002 Journey With Olds (Oldsmobile Club of America magazine) on Dec. 24 and I find it odd that this site is not mentioned in it. This site holds the promise as being just as useful for Olds info as the Buick Club of Anerica site.<BR> On the '59-'60 GM cars the post sedans had a domed or convexed shape to the roof which increased the headroom as compared to the flat top on the 4dr hardtop. Henry

Regarding the 1959 Oldsmobiles, "Collectible Automobile" covered these (and the 1960 models) a few years ago in one of its fine feature articles. Among the photos is a Ninety Eight "Celebrity" sedan, which appears simply to be the 4-door pillared style sedan. If anyone would like further information about this article (issue, date, etc.), I can locate it and provide the information for obtaining back issues.<P>The flat top 4-door hardtop style has always been my favorite among the '59 - '60 GM body styles. I have articles from as far back as 1976 that argue for the "special interest" status of this very unique and stylish roofline. While collectors typically favor 2-door hardtop cars, I specifically sought the flat top design when I acquired my original 1959 Buick Electra three years ago.<P>Scott, would sure enjoy seeing any e-mail photos of your '59 Super 88 Holiday Sports Sedan. Sounds like a great find!<P>Brian Laurance, BCA #5168<BR>laurance@integrity.com<BR>1959 Buick Electra 4-door hardtop<BR>1971 Buick Centurion Formal Coupe

Concerning the notification in JWO Jan 2002 issue mentioning this web site.<P>I noticed that as well.<P>Peter, the web master, stated that this site is not official just yet.<P>I just aquired the above mentioned "Collectable Automobile" with the articles on the '59 & '60 Olds. There has to be about 15-20 pages on info there. Very interesting.<BR>I picked it up on E bay a few weeks ago for either $3 or $5. It also shows drawings of the '59 from 1957. It originaly looked more like a '59 Caddy, as it had the two tail lights bulbs on each side, and a slight upward fin, on top of the rear fenders, just like the Caddy.<P>On the "Celebrity",... was it just a pillared sedan then? Did it have the "Celebrity" designation on it's body?<P>I will scan some photos of my car soon and advise.<P>Scott Mich

Scott, I pulled the "Collectible Automobile" article referred to above. The table that shows the production for each '59 and '60 Olds model indicates that all four-door sedan models -- in all three series -- were referred to as "Celebrity" sedans, in the same way that the four-door hardtops were referred to as "Holiday Sport Sedans".<P>Look forward to seeing scans of your SS-88!

• 1 month later...

Secret site? I belong to OCA and thus far not any mention of this site ahs been made in the monthly club publication Journey With Oldsmobile. If it was not for my Buick interest I'd still not know about this site! I emailed a "thumbs up" to the OCA club back in Dec. without any acknowledgment I know once the rank and file OCA menbership become aware this will be an active fourm. Henry.

Henry, there's a small blurb about this forum in 2/2002 JWO in the Blue Dots column- but I know too many OCA members who ignore that column completely. Between this and the new Zone Show rules not being communicated to the Southeast Zone chapters I no longer have confidence in OCA's top people and webmaster to get word out on things.<P>Thanks to Steve Moskowitz for setting up this excellent and so far underused forum for us.<BR> <BR>Glenn Williamson<BR>the Rocketraider<BR>Director, OCA Atlantic Southeast Zone 1990-2000