'34 Studebaker engine for sale in Oklahoma

Nearly five years ago, an elderly gentleman (now deceased) liquidated two project cars that were both in early progress of restoration.  I ended up with the '31 Buick and the '34 Studebaker went to someone else who quickly flipped the car.  Apparently no one wanted the straight eight engine because the flipper never returned to get it.  The son of this gentleman is now trying to find a home for this engine but he knows almost nothing about it.  As a courtesy toward him for searching for missing parts to my Buick, I told him I'd offer here on this forum.  Although I have tried, he has not priced it, doesn't know if it turns, and only states that his father was just going to clean it up and paint it and put it back in the car.  What you see in these pics is all that is left.  It is located in Tahlequah, OK.  His name is Mr. Frisby and he can be reached at (918) two four four-1307 and he will respond to texts.  I will tell you that he is a very nice person but in no way followed in his father's interest of these old cars.

Joel

IMG_1490.JPG

IMG_1491.JPG

IMG_1492.JPG

Robert, if I had a need for that 6 cyl Buick, I'd be trying to work something out.  My oldest is '31; the first year of the straight eights.  I'd guess however that it's only a matter of time til one comes along. 

I hope that someone can use the Studebaker engine.  I did make a half-hearted stab, thinking he just was wanting it out of the way.  I have no idea of the model it fits although I did briefly see its original car.  I can't imagine there's too many of these just lying around nor can I imagine a bunch of people needing one.  Again, I hope it finds a home.

Thanks,

Joel   

Tom, I'm pretty sure he wants more than $200; a price that he didn't entertain at all several months ago.  I encouraged him to figure out how to do a compression test or do something to demonstrate that there's more there than just a boat anchor.  And, that anyone wanting this would want some assurance of condition or be desperate enough to take a risk.  Maybe I shouldn't say this but the '31 Buick that I purchased was being restored by his father in a manner and to a condition that few would find acceptable.  Nevertheless, the gentleman wanting to sell this is confident that the motor is in good condition.  To his credit, his father was still alive when he sold the cars and he was there and I'm sure heard his father vouch for the condition of the motor. 

By the way, I recall that front end of the Studebaker to which this engine belonged looked just like the one in your pic.  I recall it being a two door with no sidemounts.  It's a very classy look!

There are 2 different 8 cylinder motors for 1934.  Very little difference.though.  One for president and one for commander.  The rod and main bearings were babbit in 1934.  Inserts didn't start until 35.  I called on the motor and was told 1500 to 2000.  I asked him to check if the head was aluminum and call back.  Never heard back. 

I think you're right,  he will be owning it for a while if he wants that kind of money or an engine it's some guy is probably going to spend at least $8,000 rebuilding just to keep it as a spare. I would love to have it should anything ever happen to my 34 butt It's gotta be reasonably priced for me to buy it. Tom

Hi Rex

I have bought this motor. I think it is only the Rod on the Commander (B) that is the Babbitted Type.  The motor I have , which is a 34 , has Shell bearings on the Mains and Babbitt on the Rods. You can clearly see the Jugs as well. Peter

Hi Peter

Yes in 34 the mains were inserts, but the shells are the thick style.  In 35 the mains and rods were the modern type thin wall inserts.  It does not make much difference because both type are impossible to find.  It is hard to tell by the posted photos, but I think I can see the cylinder jugs under the water distribution plate. In 35 up the block was flat there.  If it is a 35 with the aluminum head you got a good find.

Edited by studerex (see edit history)