New Project

Ernie Woodburn

Hi all.  Brand new to the forum.  I just got a 72 Riv.  It's the true definition of "barn find".  One owner.  Bought it in 73 and parked it in 77.  It sat there ever since.  Body is is pretty good shape.  Interior is awesome.  Motor is ceased though (or so I thought).  I could not turn it by the crank bolt so I pulled the pugs and poured diesel fuel in and left it overnight.  Then I mixed tranny fluid and acetone and soaked that for 2 days.  Still can't turn it.  Neither can the starter.

I think the motor might be ok though because I pulled the cover off the bell housing and found it packed solid with insulation.  After picking away at it, I still can't turn it by the crank bolt BUT I can turn it effortlessly by the flywheel.  I mad a 1/4 revolution and it started puking out my mixture in the cylinders so I know it's rotating.  Yet, the starter still can't turn it over.

Any thoughts or concerns?

Barn.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum Ernie. Don't be afraid to provide your general location also. Those barn finds can be highly overrated. :)

If you are turning it by hand from the flywheel/converter, the starter should turn it. The starter could be bad, or there are corroded wiring connections and/or cables, or, if you are using jumper cables you aren't getting enough power through them. If using jumpers try installing a good (big) battery instead to eliminate using jumpers. 

At this time I do not know why you wouldn't be able to rotate it with a 1/2" drive breaker bar on the crank bolt when it can be turned easily at the flywheel; but regardless the good thing is the pistons are moving. Wouldn't hurt to remove the belts also.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Be careful that you don't have a valve stuck open that's interfering with  the top of a piston.  Chances are you're going to want to do a valve job so you might consider just pulling the heads and looking at what's inside.

Ino my previous post, I suggested opening the link in my signature block.  Duh!  Something has happened to everyone's signature.  

www.rivowners.org

Ed

Edited by RivNut
effing predictive text (see edit history)

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

In my previous post, I suggested opening the link in my signature block.  Duh!  Something has happened to everyone's signature.  

Ed

False alarm, somehow the "Show Signatures" switch got turned off in my profile.  Every thing is back to normal.  Sorry for any concerns, if any, that I may have caused.

Ed

If I were you I would go ahead and pull the engine and transmission out and have them gone through......

The car has been sitting for 40 years........All seals in the rear end and trans will need replacing, all brake hydraulics will need replacing, and you will need a new fuel tank  and possibly    fuel lines. I can assure you that the valves and rings are all stuck 

in the engine and will need attention. The only reason to get it to turn over is so that you can unbolt the torque converter from

the flywheel....you aren't going to magically get the motor unstuck and start driving the car after sitting for 40 years. Water pump and fuel pump and fuel hoses will also need replacing as well.  Good luck on your project and welcome to the forum!

The rings on the cylinder with the open intake valve will only push the rust on the walls just so far.

I had to look up some other stuff this afternoon and ran across this: /www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTUwn15evsI

That's the stuff inside cylinders that have been sitting.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)