1974 Cadillac Eldorado--orange!

This car isn't mine, but it is very interesting.

Appreciating the unusual, I would have bought it if it wasn't for the imperfections.

Have you ever seen another ORANGE 

1974 Cadillac Eldorado?  Yes, "mandarin orange" was a factory color in 1974.

I inquired about the Cadillac by phone and got more information.

Here's the link and a couple of photos.  

http://www.motorinnautogroup.com/inventory/details/used/CADILLAC/ELDORADO/1974/statewide/iowa/3439237

I saw it listed on www.carsforsale.com.

Low mileage--appears correct to me.

Interior--leather, off-white color.  Excellent.  Attached photo shows

the driver's seat, which has very minimal signs of usage.

Paint--evidently repainted once.

The bad part:  Noticeable rust along the bottom edge of the vinyl roof,

and on the bottom of the door interiors.  Photo shows worst area of roof.

The good:  For sale by a GM dealership who took it on trade for a new Corvette.

They would even put me in touch with the previous owner.

The dealership was very honest, forthcoming, and low pressure--

unusually so--and the salesman is even a pastor too.

Asking price $7995.  Located in small town near Des Moines, Iowa. 

So if you don't mind doing some rust repair, you'll have a VERY unusual conversation piece!

1974 Cadillac Eldorado orange Iowa.JPG

1974 Cadillac Eldorado--orange 1.jpg

1974 Eldorado orange vinyl roof.JPG

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

I have a 75 Eldorado convertible in Mandarin Orange. It has original paint and 79,000 miles. Paint is in poor condition and I am considering a repaint. I love the color. My late father bought a new 75 orange Eldorado coupe in 1974 and he received many compliments. Both dad's and my Eldorado had the matching orange interior. I knew that an orange color was available in 74 but I always thought it was a lighter shade. Obviously I was wrong on that thought. Beautiful car. I hope it finds an appreciative owner. I see many of these big old GM cars falling into disrepair and ending up in the salvage yards. They are a piece of auto history that will never be repeated. Save as many as you can. Thanks for your post. Ben

OK John, it did stir a memory or two... I had a '73 Monte Carlo in the Chevy version of the same color.  At the time we thought the loaded, low mile car was a step up from the Camaro I had that had barely survived the first 2 - 3 years in the hands of a new male driver.  The plan was to paint it as soon as I could afford it, but luckily I never wasted the money - hands down the worst car I ever owned.   The color sure screams mid-70s though - it works on Corvettes of the same vintage pretty good actually. 

It's not the designers, it's the public mood. Recall the flamboyant, three-tone factory colors of the fifties. The USA had won the war and was on top of the world. Now, not so much; people are looking over their shoulders, tenuous, maybe a little scared of what is to come. That is reflected in their choice of colors. Don't make a statement, don't stand out.

Sometimes color grows on you.  While I was not a fan of the orange back in the day I would not mind this on the right car today - as noted it is really nice on the mid 70s Corvette, and interesting on the some of the other models as well.  I had a Mimosa (AKA banana yellow) TR-6 that was a condition vs. color buy, but over time I came to think it was perfect for the car.  nice to stand out among the red and BRG cars of that type.  Other times colors just don't make sense - - earth brown on sports cars, for example.

On another topic that rot at the base of the vinyl top on that Eldo would really concern me - we had a '74 Olds also, which ran like a bear but started to rust almost immediately - Dad had to have that identical type of rust repaired around '76 or '77.  I would think that would be an expensive repair and require replacing the top as well.  

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

13 hours ago, BillP said:

It's not the designers, it's the public mood. ...

I know what you mean, Bill.

In the mid- to late 1920's, cars could be had

in some flamboyant 3-tones and 4-tones.

By the depressed 1930's, colors were very somber.

Yet the 1970's, economically and morally challenged,

still brought car buyers some pretty good colors.

Today, the car companies should at least give us 

a much better choice of colors.  If 50% of the

buyers want bland and blase black, white, and gray,

offering 15 to 20 color choices would let people

express their own taste and individuality, and not

be subject to the lackluster taste of the car companies.

Attached is a 1928 Packard ad.  The coupe is 

red, green, and black!  Imagine asking the local Cadillac

salesman for a new model in those colors--he would

think you literally were a lunatic. Then when shown that

whole series of colorful Packard ads, he might

see the light.  I believe good color comes from inspiration.

1928 Packard red-green.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Interesting thoughts on colors and national sentiment.  There was a Packard in the Dayton, OH Packard museum the was ordered with all the bright work painted as the owner purportedly did not want to draw attention during the depression era.  Ironically, apparently it did quite the opposite as it's unusual presentation drew lots of attention.

IMG_3655.JPG

Got my daily driver serviced recently and dealer had a brand new model on showroom floor in flat black.  Seems to be reactive to some consumer demand.  I would imagine it would not wear very well at all.

That is a very interesting Packard.

22 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Got my daily driver serviced recently and dealer had a brand new model on showroom floor in flat black.  Seems to be reactive to some consumer demand.  I would imagine it would not wear very well at all.

Steve, what make and model of car had flat black paint?

That's something I've never heard of.

Either it's designed to be sporty, or it

signifies a new low in literally lackluster design.

Lackluster = lacking luster, shine, or brightness.

(That's my own paraphrased definition.)

Flat black paint definitely is the epitome of lackluster design.

Let's hope the designers and accountants

get inspired and give their products more pizzazz.

Antique car fans could show them lessons from history

that they have lost sight of!

Agree!!  I have to admit (at the risk of sounding snobbish but that is not my point) that was the last place I expected to see something like that.  On one hand, good for MB for trying to attract (presumably) the younger buyer.  On the other, well, really??!  B)

The time I was there before was equally silly, I happened upon a sales guide for the SLK - geared towards sales staff, not for the public.  It talked about "addressing the buyer's needs" and that "a young female professional is likely more interested in the electronics, sound system, etc. than anything else so show that first"  Sorry to digress but I thought you might get a chuckle at that.

I agree all the manufacturers might liven things up a bit color wise. Maybe that is coming next, who knows..

Happy motoring -