Cigarette Lighter Question

packick

I had a ground problem in my 1936 Business Coupe (6 volt) with the cigarette lighter . . . it wouldn't work.  But now I have corrected that problem and the cigarette lighter works  but does not get red hot as I am used to with lighters in 12V cars.  It gets hot enough to blacken a piece of paper (I don't smoke so I can't test it on a real cigarette), but not red hot.

Do 6V lighters not get red hot like 12V lighters or do I still have a ground problem preventing it from getting red hot?  Thanks.

Edited by packick (see edit history)

Thanks Las Vegas Dave.  The lighter DOES seem to pop out sooner than expected, so maybe it isn't staying depressed long enough to get it red hot.  I assume there is no adjustment one can make to the lighter itself to remedy this?  And yes, I have taken the lighter apart and cleaned it as best I could with a Dremmel wire brush.

1.    Tighten the "prongs" around so it stays in longer to get hotter.

2.    Check to see that the element which screws into the knob is actually a 6Volt unit - someone may have replaced it with a 12Voly unit at some time without realizing the difference.

My 6Volt lighters get red hot

• Like 1

I used to smoke when all cars were 6 volt. The lighters all got RED back then as I remember. I think all cars came with an ashtray and a cigarette lighter back then. I am talking about fifties cars because thats what I remember smoking in. I have never removed or tried the stock lighter in my 38 so I just went out to the garage to see if it worked. It is still the stock lighter in my car and it looks like it was never used. The car only has 23000 miles on it and only about 18000 when I got it. In any event the lighter still works but not like any I remember. Mine has a spring loaded button on the side to hold it tight and give it a good ground while in its receptacle. I have to hold it in with my hand for a second or two and it is easily hot enough to light a cigarette however it is not glowing RED. It does not stay in by itself and ten pop out when it gets hot like I remember. MAYBE yours just gets super hot without glowing red, that is what mine does. Mine still has the stock knob and it matches the radio knobs and the light switch knob so I know it is stock. I'm glad you posted your question or I probably would have never tried mine, I still haven't tried pulliing open either of the ash trays yet. 

FRNT PASS SIDE OCT 2016.JPG

Ah yes, Fr. Buick, I remember your point about cigars when I was parked next to you at the Portland Buick National a couple years back.  I wonder if this is a case of tom(ay)to vs. tom(ah)to?  At least back then they didn't call them "accessory outlets" like they do today.

The 34 Diamond T that my Grandfather drove had a cigar lighter.  It lit cigars, did not get red but sure was hot enough to blister a six year old's thumb.  I suppose it wouldn't have happened if the six year old had done as he was told.

18 hours ago, Tinindian said:

The 34 Diamond T that my Grandfather drove had a cigar lighter.  It lit cigars, did not get red but sure was hot enough to blister a six year old's thumb.  I suppose it wouldn't have happened if the six year old had done as he was told.

Been there done that, but it was a 55 Chevy.

On 2016-10-29 at 6:53 PM, Fr. Buick said:

Weren't they called a cigar lighter?  At least they are in my '54 literature, which I find sort-of appealing.  My Buick runs better when I have my cigar.

I don't know if I recall seeing you without a cigar...perhaps when eating.... ;):rolleyes:

Almost everyone smoked back in those days. It was one of life's pleasures. Today you are SHUNNED and are considered an idiot. I don't even think new cars come with a lighter any more. Even Cigars are frowned upon. I loved the old days, maybe thats why I love the old cars. I don't smoke anymore but it was pure bliss when I was oblivious to all the never ending warnings from the media and government.