Timing gear

jonlabree

Why would anyone want to install a Nylon one? The were the cause of lots of timing chain failures in the 70's and 80' and would fail in the 80 to 100K mile mark. I know I have changed at least 3 on 70's Chevy 350s. This sent lots of cars to the junk yard during that time so manufactures could sell new cars. When they failed you had to drop the oil pan to clean out all the nylon from the pan and pickup.   

Jon, The technician in that article, which I have seen as a video, also claims the cam magnet/sensor will cause a no-start condition. I think they are talking about a different engine than the ones that were installed in Reattas. I have driven my car with the sensor unplugged and it had no problem starting or running. It's probably not as efficient running as it is with the sensor connected but I had a hard time telling any difference.

I've not had my timing gear out so I don't know what it is made of. I do think the magnetic field could be weakened depending on how much iron is in the metal sproket. There are lots of metals it could be made of such as aluminum or a good grade of stainless steel that wouldn't effect the magnetic field. I'm sure whatever metal was originally used in the sprockets - that the engineers took it into consideration so adequate magnetism would still be in the magnet to trigger the sensor.

As long as the magnet is in good condition and in a stock sprocket I don't think magnetize to trigger the sensor would be an issue. Your high performance engine could have an aftermarket sprocket made of a material that could effect the magnet. Are you having problems?

8 minutes ago, 89RedSlate said:

Other versions of the magnet- use black ABS plastic, giving the illusion of "4 rod magnets", because all that is visible are the 4 bare corners.

You could be right. I've not taken one apart but I swear I think I saw of one of those plastic cases cut open that holds the magnets and it had 4 individual magnet rods inside that could fall out separately. I could be wrong.

25 minutes ago, 63viking said:

No, Not having any problems. I am considering rebuilding the oil pump this winter and figured I would replace the timing gears and chain and cover.

Ronnie do you have the button on the Reatta store?

No I don't Jon. It is my understanding that there were at least two different buttons. The button you should use would need to match timing covers you have. I don't know the differences so I didn't add it to the store. I don't add items unless I can confirm they will fit correctly. In this case I think it would be best to pull the cover and then determine which button you need. That is what I intend to do.

33 minutes ago, padgett said:

I would NEVER use a nylon timing gear in any car I own. Was a GM cost save in the late 60s and part of the reason my ordered 72 wagon had a 400-4bbl was that it had a steel gear.

Me neither.   When I tore down the 289 in my 63 Galaxie I observed the timing gear was all steel.   I found a local donor motor for some parts, it was a 289 from 1968 and had a nylon timing gear.   Like, WTF ??   Doesn't Cloyes make a double roller for the LN3 ?  I guess not

36 minutes ago, 89RedSlate said:

I'm not sure that is the correct one... but it might be.

RockAuto lists at least 2 different Pioneer part numbers for the 3800.  500005 & 839008. I don't know exactly what the differences are but they sure don't look the same to me.  It appears one requires a spring the goes inside the button and the other has a spring that goes around the button.

Obviously the one on the left requires a spring that is sold separately.

Pioneer 500006 s-l140.jpg   Pioneer 839008 pio-839008_ml.jpg

The bearings are the same, the spring is what is different. For the engines I have for mine, the straight narrow spring has been the correct one that fits a bored hole in the nose of the cam. If memory serves, the springs will interchange on the same bearing.

• Like 1