What's Wrong With This Picture?

ken1007

Tried to install the shocks on the 1935 4 door Dictator - front went on fine- back did not.  Called Apple Hydraulics and they asked if the link was too short as it is 4 inch short of meeting the ball attached to he bottom of the spring.  In any case they would relocate the arm to what ever position was necessary but it has to be at 90 degrees to the link.  In its present position, the arm is in the lower most position, it will only go up, not down, as seen in the photo and it is 4 inches short of meeting the lower ball.  Is there a longer link?  Can anyone get a picture of how the shocks are properly mounted?  Ken Kidwell, Deltaville, Va 

IMG_1462[1].JPG

Hi Ken. Don't do anything yet with Apple.  The shocks actually mount on a bracket that puts them below the frame..  I took one picture as far in as my fat self could get under my car.  I have my '37 up on the lift detailing the underside for an AACA show this weekend and won't be able to get better pictures until next Monday or so when I might get the '35 back on the lift.  Tom

image.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I recently had to send some shocks back to Apple because the arm was improperly positioned on the front shocks for my 1938.  They told me you should have 45 degree action in both directions (both up and down).  It had been years between the time that I had the shocks rebuilt and when the problem was discovered but Apple repositioned the arms at no charge and everything works fine.  Give them a call and send a picture ---bet they will get the problem resolved.

On 11/7/2016 at 10:45 PM, roadmaster37 said:

I have a 35 Studebaker Dictator. My shocks worked fine with no bracket. Mine is mounted like your picture. Are you sure the one you have mounted doesn't go on the other side? Just a thought

Tried to install on other side.  The holes in the body of the shock are off-set thus it can not be installed on other side.  The shop manual lists two different shocks for 35, perhaps you have another shock.  Headhight lens is different depending on where car was built maybe shocks are also.  Thanks for input, Ken

15 hours ago, Cowtown Commander said:

I recently had to send some shocks back to Apple because the arm was improperly positioned on the front shocks for my 1938.  They told me you should have 45 degree action in both directions (both up and down).  It had been years between the time that I had the shocks rebuilt and when the problem was discovered but Apple repositioned the arms at no charge and everything works fine.  Give them a call and send a picture ---bet they will get the problem resolved.

Sent them the same picture as posted above (that's why the red marks were on the body, in an attempt to show where to relocate the arm).  They were unaware of this issue but would relocate arm to what ever position was needed.  However they pointed out that the body must be level and that the arm to link must be at 90 degrees or as close as possible; thus relocating the arm, with the body  connected directly to the frame, will not allow 90 degree requirement.   In addition it does not directly align with the ball connection on the axle.  Apple has been very accommodating.  What is needed is the adapter show in #3 above.  Thanks for input, Ken