63' Hubcaps,Tri shield change out

TallJohn

I have a chance to buy a set of good looking original wire hubcaps from a 63' for my 64' Riv. My question is , is the tri-shield emblem replaceable with the correct "R" the 64's had. Looks like OPGI makes a replica plastic center. Before I spend the money I was hoping someone could tell me if it was do-able. Thanks.

Yes.  Easy to do.  Remove some hex-head screws from the back side. 

And if this means you will now have the correct '63 center pieces with the 3 silver shields (instead of red/white/blue tri-shield) I would like to buy them from you.

HTH.

Make sure the set you are buying is a matching set.  

See if you can find an old thread that ,shows  differences in wire wheel covers.  If laid flat, some are taller than others.  Some have six bolts holding the center cone to the base, some have eight.  It's hard to tell at first glance.

OK John: I own more than a few old Bu's. I can say for certain that the rims on most of the cars I have were/are mis-matched in some way or another. It's incredible how things got  that way. Anyway, due to the same set of circumstances I think the 15" wire caps on the 63-66 Buicks are no different.

I'm in Castro Valley and I have a posting on Craig's List (or PM me) if you need to get a hold of me. I might be able to dial you in in some way or another.  Mitch

Open this link and read about the interchangeability of center caps on wire wheel covers.  Interchangeability depends on whether the spinner is attached with 3 or 4 screws.  63 covers are few and far between, if there good buy the email and flip them.  Then find the centers for your 64 from any cover 64 - 70.

OK John:  On the center cap plastic pieces.  The silver Tri-Shield have 3 detentes on the back, corresponding to the male  side so they are in alignment. Nothing worse than a medallion cock eyed on the spinner.  haha The R plastic centers have a single detente locking the medallion only correctly in place in the spinner.  Mitch

1 hour ago, lrlforfun said:

OK John:  On the center cap plastic pieces.  The silver Tri-Shield have 3 detentes on the back, corresponding to the male  side so they are in alignment. Nothing worse than a medallion cock eyed on the spinner.  haha The R plastic centers have a single detente locking the medallion only correctly in place in the spinner.  Mitch

John,

Were the 63 covers you bought the 3-hole spinner variety or the 4-hole spinner variety? That will make a difference in how the center medallion goes in. The early 63 wheel covers were the 3-hole and attached as Mitch said aligning the 3 detentes on the back with the 3 prongs on the center hub with no rubber backing like the later 63 or the 64 medallions had. If you have these then you will have to remove the rubber backing from the 64 medallions. The 64 medallions do have the 3 detentes on the back so you can use them on earlier 63 covers. I have attached a picture of a 64 medallion that had the rubber removed to fit the earlier 63 type cover. If your covers are later 63 covers with the 4 hole spinner then the 64 medallions will fit in as Mitch said with the single tab and will have a rubber backing. 

Bill

IMG_2263.JPG

Riviera Convention 2015 023.JPG

Riviera emblems 007.JPG