Muffler length tip to tip for 50's straight eights S 40

Joseph P. Indusi

Factory service literature might not have this spec, BUT "replacement" brand muffler/exhaust system catalogs would.  Like Walker Exhaust (and NAPA catalogs of similar), Maremont, and others.  Some of which might be found online.  Might need to seek out an older auto supply with the old paper catalogs "archived".  In their "specs" section for each part number, these charts will have the O.L., shell length, pipe inlet/exit diameters, etc.

NTX5467

TomP:

Thanks for your reply.   I saw some mufflers at Hershey that looked correct for my 53 Special and they were tip-to-tip length of 46" and that jives with your post.   Almost bought one but if it was incorrect, I would be stuck with something I could not use.   Maybe I will find another one some day.   The aftermarket I bought from a  reliable vendor in exhaust systems is actually two shorter mufflers welded together; not the way Buick made them.

Best regards.

Joe

Unless it's NOS and you plan on showing your car off at the shows with a lift, I don't think it would make much of a difference what muffler you use. I threw both of my old mufflers in the trash because one was split at a seam across the top and had developed an exhaust leak (driver) and the other had a collapsed baffle (passenger). When you hit them with a rubber mallet, they rattled with rust on the inside and no amount of turning could get the particles out. Used mufflers will most likely be the same. When I had mine replaced, I just used straight pipe to take up the difference between the two mufflers, any muffler shop can do it. Muffler technology is also far more advanced than back then and use environmentally packed contents so when they brake down, you aren't pumping more toxins into the air. The muffler channeling is also less restrictive. Granted, I probably could have cut my mufflers open and had modern stuff packed in there, but I don't know how much that would cost and how to even go about tackling something like that.