1941 exhaust manifold (tool question)

Guest 1941Buick56C

Guest 1941Buick56C

Hi group,

I was wondering if there is a special wrench to tighten those nuts on the manifolds. Some of them don't seem tight enough and I can see some exhaust leakage. The exhaust manifold and the gaskets had been replaced recently. None of my wrenches seem to work.

Thanks for your help.

JC

Guest 1941Buick56C

Sorry for not being clear. The bolts & nuts are in good condition. It is the outer size of the wrench that is causing the issue. I can grab the nut but I don't have any room to turn it as the wrench is already hitting the manifold. 

Edited by 1941Buick56C (see edit history)

I have a '41 Roadmaster, which I have rebuilt, and yes some of them are difficult to access. I had some thin walled sockets, the fatter ones wouldn't fit, and I think it is 9/16's on the heads. I find that 6 pointers work better than 12's. If I remember correctly, I had to use a couple of different wrenches to get them done up.

If you don't mind I will add a caution, do not over tighten!!! These manifolds crack easily and they need to be able to move with the hot and cold cycles. Some people have used a graphite coating on the manifold to lube it so that will move more easily. Replacements are hard to find, and costly when you do.

Keith