1929 Dodge window seal?

Bob Zetnick

I've got a 4-door sedan and am starting to reinstall the side windows. I've had safety glass made and the glass is installed with setting tape into the bottom channels. I am installing a top seal and the side channels (w/ felt)....my question is that I'm wondering if there should be something else at the bottom of the window to seal the window against the body...seems like a gap ready for water to get it. If so, a photo or supplier's name is helpful...Thanks in advance!

Thanks...yes, I have holes for drainage at the bottom of the doors, but that won't help issues with the quarter windows....keiser31, yes, have heard of "cat whiskers", but not sure I can get for this car...I did get "whiskerin channel" from Myers for the vertical channels.

Just about to start on mine as well. As far as I know, there was no bottom window seal on the doors, the water just ran out the bottom of the door, as has been previously suggested. As you have also noted, this causes problems with the rear quarter windows, as the water would have nowhere to go (except into the interior/sill panel) and cause serious rust problems. Please don't ask how I know this!!. It is my understanding that the rear quarter windows had a solid rubber seal attached to the bottom channel, where it attaches to the glass. When the window is wound fully up, it compresses between the body and the glass, to stop the water entering. Now I have never seen this rubber (long gone on mine, hence the rust problems), so I could be wrong on this, I did see some pictures once, but they were not really clear. I have been thinking of making a sort of tray to catch the water and direct it elsewhere, but have not worked out exactly what I am going to do. A friend did something similar but used pond liner, but I don't think I will go that way. Will be interested to see what you do or others have done. Have just seen Dave's reply and that is the what I have seen before, but in better detail. Was that fitted to front windows as well? Thanks Dave.

By the way, at the top of these quarter windows, does the Bailey Channel go across the top of the window as well as the sides?

John

Thanks Dave, and yes, I have a Budd body. I was not aware that they used the rubber setting channels on the four doors, but it makes sense of course. I was aware of the the sponge rubber at the top of the door glass, but I am not sure of the rear quarter windows. It appears to me that the Bailey  side channel goes up either side but continues across the top (instead of the sponger rubber). I can see no way of mounting sponge rubber, but my existing channels are so badly deteriorated that I am not sure. Are you able to confirm this? Sorry to hijack Bob's thread, but as we are talking about the same thing, I am sure he won't mind. What a coincidence, I picked up my window glass on Friday.

Thanks Dave. I saw something similar at Myers http://www.myersearlydodge.com/image.php?ws_page=chassis.php&ws_image=MVC-715F.JPG , but because of the large length of the horizontal keyway for riser arm it seems you'd have to cut away a lot of rubber where it might be unusable....this is assuming the entire channel fits into this rubber.

John, the windshield was a T-rubber.....I am using the sponge seal at the top of all windows incl. the quarter windows...the original top of window rubber was a hard rubber on my car, but this sponge rubber is what I found that vendors have for this purpose so I used it.

Thanks Bob and Dave, I think I have it sorted in my mind now. Much of my rubber is missing/melted/out of shape that it is often difficult to know what it should have looked like, especially when you pulled it to bits many years ago, when I had a much better memory and thought I would remember forever.

Dave, I will stop using that word, I thought it was a universal description but I know better now. You blokes will educate me yet!

Most of the early cars did not use an external window seal but a glass retainer channel with a leg as posted above. Later in the '30's, they started using the fuzzy beltstrips on the inside only. Outer beltstrips didn't really show up until the '40's. The early drainage system led to the eventual rotting of the lower doors.

Dave, thanks...maybe I am not explaining well. I am assuming the metal glass channel fits into this rubber channel w/ the lip. Since the rubber channel is U-shaped then I would think you'd have to cut away part of the rubber channel to allow for the riser arm keyway even if the lip faced outward (the lip itself would not be cut, just the backside of the 'U' shape).........I am hoping this rubber doesn't fit INSIDE the metal channel as it wouldn't work w/ the thickness of glass in it (matches original thickness) and I used a glass setting tape inside the channel. I hope that makes better sense.....I guess I'm wondering if the rubber you showed was to be used inside or fitted around the metal channel.

Dave....

Just to inform: if you were to look at the link I provided, you will see what the term "cat whiskers" refers to. A lower edge of window to door seal. The newer ones from the 1960s and newer are fuzzy, hence the term cat whiskers. I realize that the 1930s  style is rubber with no fuzz.

Bob,

it is my understanding that the window glass fits in the rubber which then fits in the bottom metal channel. That would make your setting tape redundant if I am understanding this correctly. That is not what you want to hear, as you have already fitted it. I have not got that far yet, but have an additional problem in that my new window glass is 5 mm thick, not 1/4 inch. That means I have a lot of head scratching to do. I will probably have a good talk to the rubber firm that I deal with, but they are 50 miles away, so won't get around to that till next week. Good luck.

John

• 5 months later...

Steele rubber products sells a similar product as Meyers does but has a little larger 'flap' of rubber that will seal window to exterior of body as the 'origonal ' one did.

My 29 DA had this 'flap' of rubber as one piece with the chanel rubber, all my side windows had this as origonal including 1/4 windows.

steele rubber also sells the top rubber bump rubber, the 'T' rubber for front windshield as well.