37 Buick Series 40 Special

Mark Hatton

I live in the UK and have just purchased a 1937 Buick Series 40 Special Trunk back saloon. The car is using oil and I will need to change the pistons. The car, being a 37, should have flat topped pistons in it, but only the later 38 onwards domed pistons are easily available. Will these later pistons fit, and can I use my existing head? If the pistons will fit, will the rest of the engine be up to the increased compression, assuming that it is all in good order? I also have a 1948 56S and the engine looks identical at a casual glance. Mark Hatton.

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. Yes you can used 1938 Domed Pistons in a 1937 Special engine. 

Here is a quote from an article written by AACA Librarian Chris Ritter concerning rebuilding his 1937 Buick Special engine in the May/June 2016 Torque Tube II

"I bought my replacement pistons from Egge, who assured me that I could use domed pistons as re-placements for my flat-tops. This was news to me and I was quite skeptical of this but Egge insisted. To veri-fy they told me to install everything except the head gasket to allow for carbon buildup and then turn the gine by hand to check for interference. Well, Egge is right – domed pistons do indeed fit in a 1937 Special engine with no alteration or replacement needed to the cylinder head."

I hope you will consider joining the 36-38 Buick Club. Membership information can be found at this link:  http://www.3638buickclub.org/membership.html

This advice is very helpful. I shall get the domed pistons in the winter and fit them. I shall also join the club. There are a few of these cars in the UK, as they were exported worldwide. Mine has been here since December 1936. I need a trunk lock as mine has been ruined. My trunk handle is OK, but I need a lock, though I can get keys cut if these are missing. Any ideas where I might get one from?

1 hour ago, Mark Hatton said:

This advice is very helpful. I shall get the domed pistons in the winter and fit them. I shall also join the club. There are a few of these cars in the UK, as they were exported worldwide. Mine has been here since December 1936. I need a trunk lock as mine has been ruined. My trunk handle is OK, but I need a lock, though I can get keys cut if these are missing. Any ideas where I might get one from?

Dave T is the guy to contact for pree war Buick parts. Send him a letter (he does not do email)

He is good to deal with and will sell/send parts to people outside of USA (unlike many of others)

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/206688-dave-tachney/

And we like photos