prewar Buick Century or Roadmaster

kgreen

I'm looking at two convertible 1941 Buicks, one is a Century (4-door) the other is the Roadmaster (2-door).  Both cars are complete but in need of restoration, bodies are fine with minimal rust in the usual places.  The cost to restore either one of them could be about equal, but expensive.  Which is the more valuable car when restored?  The big engine small body Century or the big body, big engine Roadmaster.

20 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Quality of the restoration will be the big factor. The Roadmaster is where I would park my money. No way a convertible sedan will cost the same as a convertible two door to restore.

I fuly understand the restoration would have alot to do with the value.  I like the Roadmaster as well, just wondering if the Century was more desirable.  Thanks for taking the time to reply.

22 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Quality of the restoration will be the big factor. The Roadmaster is where I would park my money. No way a convertible sedan will cost the same as a convertible two door to restore.

Which car do you like better and would rather own when finished? Which car is more complete?

• Like 1

No such thing as a 1941 Buick Century convertible. If it's a 1941 4-door convertible, it's either a Super or a Roadmaster. You should verify which one it is because that could have a large impact on value. Supers are worth about 50% less than Roadmasters. If both cars are Roadmasters, I'd go for the 2-door convertible, which you don't see very often and has a much more user-friendly drop-top than the convertible sedan. I'm guessing that the 4-door is a Super which will probably make the decision for you (a lot of sellers get confused, either accidentally or on purpose when selling these cars). Or it's a 1940 Century 4-door convertible, which is still far less valuable than a 1941 Roadmaster convertible coupe.

Note that the 1941 Century and Roadmaster rode on the same chassis, so there's not much truth to the fact that the Century is a Roadmaster engine in a Special body. Technically the Special and Century bodies are interchangeable, but the extra length is all head of the firewall, so the Century is notably longer and is on a 7-inch longer wheelbase.

Ask the seller of the 4-door convertible to give you the wheelbase measurement, that will help narrow down what it is. Or post photos, we can help!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

No such thing as a 1941 Buick Century convertible. If it's a 1941 4-door convertible, it's either a Super or a Roadmaster. You should verify which one it is because that could have a large impact on value. Supers are worth about 50% less than Roadmasters. If both cars are Roadmasters, I'd go for the 2-door convertible, which you don't see very often and has a much more user-friendly drop-top than the convertible sedan. I'm guessing that the 4-door is a Super which will probably make the decision for you (a lot of sellers get confused, either accidentally or on purpose when selling these cars). Or it's a 1940 Century 4-door convertible, which is still far less valuable than a 1941 Roadmaster convertible coupe.

Note that the 1941 Century and Roadmaster rode on the same chassis, so there's not much truth to the fact that the Century is a Roadmaster engine in a Special body. Technically the Special and Century bodies are interchangeable, but the extra length is all head of the firewall, so the Century is notably longer and is on a 7-inch longer wheelbase.

Ask the seller of the 4-door convertible to give you the wheelbase measurement, that will help narrow down what it is. Or post photos, we can help!

Matt:

Thanks for your feedback, I see several Century convertibles for sale and your wheelbase measurement idea is grand.  Thanks for your help.  Nice company website BTW.

Ken