Power Antenna Wiring Question

Riviera63

Hi,

I have a question about the location of the wiring connectors/plugs for adding a power antenna. I know that the late 63's as of March 1, 1963 were equipped with one of 2 different wiring harnesses containing wiring for various optional accessories both of which contained the harness for the power antenna. These were wired to the fuse block so that in-line fuses were eliminated. I would assume that the 64's and 65's would be this way as well. My car was a late May, 1963 build. When I put my AM/FM radio in I recall seeing an unused connector/plug  which I assume was the connector/plug for the antenna switch at the heater/AC control head. The wire lead from the antenna motor is only 15"-16" long. I know that this wire follows the same path and goes through the same hole in the firewall as the antenna lead. From the short length of these wires I would think that the connector/plug for these wires would have to be located somewhere near where the antenna lead comes in through the firewall but, on the inside of the car. The wiring diagram included with the bulletin shows only a power antenna connector by the heater/AC control head. Has anyone done this that can tell me where the connector/plug is located that connects to the wires coming from the antenna motor? I just would like to get a general idea of where I need to be or any tips on doing this before I start ripping things apart. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

Antenna Wiring Service Bulletin picture.jpg

I'm at lunch in school right now but I think I may have an answer for you.  This is based on pulling a power antenna a few years ago so it may be wrong.

The wires in the harness go to the switch under the dash.  The electric antenna is equipped with wiring that goes to the switch.  Nothing from the harness goes directly to the antenna.  As I said, this is from year's old memory and it could be clouded.

Ed

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

I'm at lunch in school right now but I think I may have an answer for you.  This is based on pulling a power antenna a few years ago so it may be wrong.

The wires in the harness go to the switch under the dash.  The electric antenna is equipped with wiring that goes to the switch.  Nothing from the harness goes directly to the antenna.  As I said, this is from year's old memory and it could be clouded.

Ed

Ed,

This is why I have asked this question. I have heard 2 different things about the wiring. I have been told that ALL of the wiring I need is in the car. Which is believable after reading the service bulletin. The bulletin basically says that it is "plug and play". I have also been told that the wire by the heater/AC control head is the power wire and that I need another set of wires to go from the switch to the connector on the wires that come out of the antenna motor. 

After reading what you have said, looking at pictures of the different components and thinking about the plug that I saw last summer when I put my radio in, I am inclined to think that you are correct and that I do need the wire that goes from the switch to the antenna motor. To the best of my recollection the unused plug I saw was a single terminal connector which would go to the single terminal on the switch for power. I have attached pictures of an antenna switch, the wire that goes out from the antenna motor and an early wiring harness that shows the connector/wires that I would need to go from the other two terminals on the switch to the antenna motor. From the picture you can see that the connector that would go to the switch is actually two different sets of wires. One is the power wire, which is already in my car and the wires that go to the antenna motor.

Any confirmation one way or the other would be great. Thanks.

Bill

IMG_2409.JPGPower Antenna Connector.jpgPower Antenna Wiring.jpgPower Antenna Switch.jpg

The switch gets mounted above the radio and is fed a power wire.  A two wire harness goes from the switch to the connector thru the firewall.  It's not included or attached to any other harness it's a stand alone piece.   So you might need to manufacture your own

4 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

Ed,

This is why I have asked this question. I have heard 2 different things about the wiring. I have been told that ALL of the wiring I need is in the car. Which is believable after reading the service bulletin. The bulletin basically says that it is "plug and play". I have also been told that the wire by the heater/AC control head is the power wire and that I need another set of wires to go from the switch to the connector on the wires that come out of the antenna motor. 

After reading what you have said, looking at pictures of the different components and thinking about the plug that I saw last summer when I put my radio in, I am inclined to think that you are correct and that I do need the wire that goes from the switch to the antenna motor. To the best of my recollection the unused plug I saw was a single terminal connector which would go to the single terminal on the switch for power. I have attached pictures of an antenna switch, the wire that goes out from the antenna motor and an early wiring harness that shows the connector/wires that I would need to go from the other two terminals on the switch to the antenna motor. From the picture you can see that the connector that would go to the switch is actually two different sets of wires. One is the power wire, which is already in my car and the wires that go to the antenna motor.

Any confirmation one way or the other would be great. Thanks.

Bill

IMG_2409.JPGPower Antenna Connector.jpgPower Antenna Wiring.jpgPower Antenna Switch.jpg

Can you post some more pictures of your switch?  I looked at my wiring diagram and it shows three wires going to the switch.  One hot wire, red/orange - it's hard to tell on the diagram, which furnishes 12V to the switch, then two wires, one for 'up' and one for 'down' that to the  wires coming from the antenna motor.   Unless there's a terminal on the switch that can't be seen in the picture, it appears that you may have the wrong switch.  

In the pictures of the wires that you posted, the orange wire with the inline fuse provides 12V to the switch using the white connector. the other end, which I can't see in the picture, goes to the fuse block for power.  The black connector with the black and green wires plugs into the two male terminals on the top of the switch (as seen in the picture) the other end of the black / green wires goes through the firewall and connects to the black/green wires coming from the antenna motor.  The motor grounds through the case so there's no dedicated ground wire.  

Please post some more pictures of the switch from different angles.

Thanks,

Ed

PS - You can probably identify the switch as correct.  First, see if the black connector fits the male spades on the switch. Also, there are three positions on the switch.  With the lever in the middle, there is no current to the antenna motor,  Push the thumb button to go up, pull it to go down.  If your switch doesn't automatically return to the middle position, it's not an antenna switch. Post some more pictures of the switch anyway and send a picture of the wiring harness stretched out so there are no loops in the orange wire  See if you can't connect the motor wires (black/green) to the same color wires coming from the harness before you take the picture.  .

I started digging through the boxes of parts from my '64 and found the switch panel with switches installed.  Here are a couple of picture of the antenna switch I found.  It has three terminals on it.  First, my apology. When I first looked at your picture, I didn't see that your switch does have three terminals on it (one is kind of in a shadow.)  So, try plugging everything together as I suggested in my previous post - the wires are there for what you need - and see if it all connects.  You can then test everything.  Orange wire to the + post on a battery, and ground the case to the - post on a battery.  I use the 12V battery for my cordless string trimmer rather than the car's battery.  

Ed

Sorry about the quality of the pictures.  One hand on the phone/camera and the other holding the part makes things kind of shaky.)20160902_184543.jpg20160902_184614.jpg

Ed,

Thanks for all of the leg work. The switch and the wiring harness are not mine. The picture of the switch is one I will be buying and was one supplied by the vendor. The picture of the wiring harness is one sent to me by the same vendor when I had asked about the wire going from the switch to the antenna. It is an earlier harness which would have been put in an earlier car build or one put in by a dealer for someone with an earlier car wanting a power antenna after the fact. My car being the later build has the power wire already there wired to the fuse box. I know how everything hooks up. The question I need answered is: Is the wiring that goes from the switch to the antenna already in my car or do I have to supply and run that wire to the antenna? That is where I have received conflicting answers. I been told that the wiring is already there and I have been told I need to get it and run it to the motor. Thanks. 

Bill

After reading your last post and re-reading your first post, here's my latest opinion.  IF you car did not come from the factory with a power antenna - you say in your original post that you "have questions about adding a power antenna,"  then I'm thinking that the plug and play is only for the connector for a power supply to the switch.  

If there was not a switch in the car for the power antenna, I can't see Buick putting a wire in the car that is not connected on either end.  They just wouldn't have a loose wire with one end lying loose around under the dash and the other end lying loose in the engine compartment.  I think that for you to add the power antenna you'll need the black (possibly dark blue)/green wire with the correct terminal ends, the switch, and the power antenna w/ it's mounting brackets - basically everything that is down stream from the existing power plug.  You can probably get away with just terminal ends on the black-blue/green wires with no connectors (easier to fish through the antenna hole with nothing on the ends too.)  

Does the access panel in the inner fender already have the hole in it for the bracket bolt? If not, you'll need that too.  I can't tell from your posts which parts you have and which you still need.  But the easiest part to make, if necessary, is that black-blue/green lead wires that go from the switch to the lead wires from the antenna motor.  I'd say if you don't see the Black (blue)/Green wires hanging loose on the engine side of the firewall, then you need it.  If I read the memo correctly, the plug that's in your existing harness will be wired through the fuse block and you won't need an inline fuse. 

If you do want to stick with OE parts, then I'd suggest that you contact Gene Guarnere for what you need.  He's parted out more of these cars than you can imagine and if he doesn't have it no one else does either.

I'd also like to hear other opinions as well before you take off on this adventure.

Good luck.  

Ed

7 hours ago, RivNut said:

After reading your last post and re-reading your first post, here's my latest opinion.  IF you car did not come from the factory with a power antenna - you say in your original post that you "have questions about adding a power antenna,"  then I'm thinking that the plug and play is only for the connector for a power supply to the switch.  

If there was not a switch in the car for the power antenna, I can't see Buick putting a wire in the car that is not connected on either end.  They just wouldn't have a loose wire with one end lying loose around under the dash and the other end lying loose in the engine compartment.  I think that for you to add the power antenna you'll need the black (possibly dark blue)/green wire with the correct terminal ends, the switch, and the power antenna w/ it's mounting brackets - basically everything that is down stream from the existing power plug.  You can probably get away with just terminal ends on the black-blue/green wires with no connectors (easier to fish through the antenna hole with nothing on the ends too.)  

Does the access panel in the inner fender already have the hole in it for the bracket bolt? If not, you'll need that too.  I can't tell from your posts which parts you have and which you still need.  But the easiest part to make, if necessary, is that black-blue/green lead wires that go from the switch to the lead wires from the antenna motor.  I'd say if you don't see the Black (blue)/Green wires hanging loose on the engine side of the firewall, then you need it.  If I read the memo correctly, the plug that's in your existing harness will be wired through the fuse block and you won't need an inline fuse. 

If you do want to stick with OE parts, then I'd suggest that you contact Gene Guarnere for what you need.  He's parted out more of these cars than you can imagine and if he doesn't have it no one else does either.

I'd also like to hear other opinions as well before you take off on this adventure.

Good luck.  

Ed

Ed,

I have the antenna and mounting bracket. The switch is in the process of being purchased. If we are to believe the service bulletin I have a power line and a connector for the switch that is routed to the fuse box, so I do not need an inline fuse. I have not looked at my access panel as of yet but, I had thought there was a bolt hole already as the service manual shows a bolt through the access panel to the bracket to hold the manual antenna that is on the car now. If needed I can manufacture a wire connection from the switch to the antenna. I have wire and the right connectors for each end from a wiring harness that I had gotten from a 1963 Pontiac LeMans years ago. It won't be OEM exactly but, it would be the right year and company. Thanks.

Bill

The circuit is pretty simple..........

First test the antenna to verify that it works........ground the case of the motor...apply 12v to one wire and it will go up,  switch to the other wire and it will go down.

The switch on the dash....12V goes into one terminal probably the one  that is off-set, with a meter you can test the switch...push the button one way (it is probably marked "UP" and "DOWN" )    Now test the wires

20 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

The circuit is pretty simple..........

First test the antenna to verify that it works........ground the case of the motor...apply 12v to one wire and it will go up,  switch to the other wire and it will go down.

The switch on the dash....12V goes into one terminal probably the one  that is off-set, with a meter you can test the switch...push the button one way (it is probably marked "UP" and "DOWN" )    Now test the wires

Hi Barney,

The antenna has been tested and works well. The switch has been tested and is good. The question has not been how to make it work but, trying to ascertain which wires are already there in my car. The power wire to the switch is already there. The question that I have gotten conflicting answers on is whether the 2 wires that supply current to the antenna motor from the up and down terminals on the switch are in the dash or not. Some have told me yes they are already there and others have told me no they are not. I am just wanting to get confirmation one way or the other before I do the installation. I don't want to pull apart my dash looking for wires that are not there. Thanks.

Bill

To get to the switch and the wiring, just take out the four screws that hold the dash pad in place and pull the dash pad out.  You should be able to see everything from there and run wires, if they're not there, from the top.  No need to tear into the entire dash.   From what you're saying, you're going to have to get halfway in there anyway and halfway is enough to tell what you have and/or need.  If the wire you're looking for is not there, it will take a juist few minutes to make one up and get it in place.

Ed