55 Buick Super 8 Windshield installation

Guest Quackt Glass

Guest Quackt Glass

I am looking for guidance please. We are an auto glass company in NC that has a customer with a 55 Super 8. They want us to install the windshield. I have been a glass man for many years and worked on a lot of classics. I figured out the top chrome goes into the gasket and once the glass is roped in it screws to the body before the sides wrap around. My question is ... how does the bottom chrome attach? It looks like it wraps around the gasket and lips in on the on the glass edge but that just don't seem correct(glass to metal). I can tell it does not lock into the gasket like the top one. Any advise?

Edited by Quackt Glass (see edit history)

I don't have your answer.  Just wanted to let you know you posted at an inopportune time, as this is the week of our National Meet.  Please don't get discouraged.  I am sure some folks will get back to this as soon as they are able.

• Like 1

Can't say for sure about a Super but the Century bottom trim slips, not snaps, into clips screwed into the cowl. The rear ends of the strips are screwed into the body and after the screws are removed the strips are slid out. They usually have dirt packed in the underside and take a bit of back and forth, air gun and WD-40 to get them sliding.............Bob

• Like 1

The big body (super, roadmaster) cars are similar. 20160726_172852.jpgYou need to put the pillars on last. The center part of the bottom trim has a clip in the middle that is screwed to the cowl.20160726_173058.jpg It is held on the ends by the wiper escutcheons. 20160726_172923.jpgThen the side pieces slide under the wiper escutcheons, over a clip on the cowl. 20160726_173014.jpgThe pillars go on and hold the ends of the top and bottom trim. Where there is another clip, unfortunately they are mostly rusted away on this car.20160726_173017.jpg20160726_172958.jpgNothing attached to the gasket.  Rear windshield is different and DOES go in the gasket.

Hope this helps.

20160726_172859.jpg

20160726_173002.jpg

• Like 2