Early DB Top help

MrLiken

Many thanks to all the good advise seen in this thread. My dodge restoration of a tourer that has been converted to a flat deck truck has been a jigsaw puzzle from the start. A lot of stuff was done incorrectly but the paint job on the body and wheels [ including the yellow pinstriping on the green paint job , body and wheels ] as well as the nice looking varnished deck, sold me on continuing to bring this truck back to life. 

initially it was Mike who showed me how I could mount the seat back, and that part has been finished, now its the hood, of which I have had to work out how to make the frame work as it should, and that has been done. Now its making the hood itself, and that's where this thread has got me thinking on the right track.

I recently had an issue like 72caddy mentioned on page 1 of this thread, and I decided to throw the towel in regarding the forum because it really really pissed me off.  The 2 individuals concerned are now blocked by me. It was a surprise to one other member who went out of his way to find bearings for me and he suggested that i should not get disheartened by the stupid episode.

As a result of following Mike thread, and asking about the hood frame, I got the reminder about this thread.

This forum is really great and I am very pleased i found it.   Many suggestions ahd got me on the right track.

27 minutes ago, cutdown said:

Many thanks to all the good advise seen in this thread. My dodge restoration of a tourer that has been converted to a flat deck truck has been a jigsaw puzzle from the start. A lot of stuff was done incorrectly but the paint job on the body and wheels [ including the yellow pinstriping on the green paint job , body and wheels ] as well as the nice looking varnished deck, sold me on continuing to bring this truck back to life. 

initially it was Mike who showed me how I could mount the seat back, and that part has been finished, now its the hood, of which I have had to work out how to make the frame work as it should, and that has been done. Now its making the hood itself, and that's where this thread has got me thinking on the right track.

I recently had an issue like 72caddy mentioned on page 1 of this thread, and I decided to throw the towel in regarding the forum because it really really pissed me off.  The 2 individuals concerned are now blocked by me. It was a surprise to one other member who went out of his way to find bearings for me and he suggested that i should not get disheartened by the stupid episode.

As a result of following Mike thread, and asking about the hood frame, I got the reminder about this thread.

This forum is really great and I am very pleased i found it.   Many suggestions ahd got me on the right track.

It's a shame that we as old car lovers that try our damn best to bring and old jalopy back to life and along comes some so called expert that intent in shooting you down in flames Unfortunately they are out there and the most disturbing thing is that they breed I believe the idea of these forums is to try and advise and help fellow restorers  Keep up the good work mate I will always be at your back 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I'm hoping someone can help with this detail.  i'm finally putting my top on the car and in the circled area (the last 3" of hidem), the top socket is underneath, so I can't just staple it.  It appears that an uphostery nail is used to secure the end cap.  Or is it a screw?

Rear detail.jpg

Mike, 

That is a "decorative nail".  They usually come in the package with the hidem spear.   Like a nail but with a small rounded head.  They are .080 diameter x 1" long.  I actually usually drill a very small hole using the smallest drill in the drill case and then hammer these in.  For black, I use touch up paint after nailing in.  If you need a couple of these, PM me with your address.     Haven't seen any photos in a while so post your progress.    Hugh

Hidemendnails.JPG.f63459dedc4389e47215d1c4041f65aa.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

There are usually numerous holes on the side of the top iron, so that the top and hidem (or wire-on) can be attached with tacks, and finally the metal end trim can be attached with nail as Hugh shows above.  

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  I would have thought the fasteners would be included with the hidem but, no.  I'm going to check my local hardware store today but if I come up empty, I'll take you up on the offer, Hugh.  The job is a 20 footer...  It looks ok from 20 feet.  The matierial was cheap and while it was a good learning exercise, handling the large pieces of material is quite difficult and when I'm ready to do it with correct (Haartz) top material, I think I will search out a pro trimmer.  This will work for now.

Image (2).jpg

IMG_3220.jpeg

• Like 1