1953 Buick Special hydraulic lifter noise

Vintagecarguy

Hello all,

I am looking into a 1953 Buick Special. 263 with Dynaflow.

When the engine is cold you can hear a lifter ticking, but after about 5 minutes you would have to listen hard to hear it. My question is, is this something to worry about? And if it is, would it be simple to fix? The story is that the engine was rebuilt at some time in the past, but there is no paper work. Other than the tick when cold it is a good running motor.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Vintagecarguy.

I have one that occasionally ticks, especially when it's cold and/or has been sitting awhile, and mine's been rebuilt (and I cleaned out the rocker shaft).  The oiling system for the lifters on straight 8's is a little backward; it feeds the lifters from the rocker shaft down to the lifters, and it's kind of a trickle.  There are a few things you can do.  Check the rocker shaft and rocker arm passages to make sure they're clean (and you should if you're not sure).  Apparently, there's a small screen in the fitting where the oil filter line enters the head, and it can get plugged (mine never seemed to have that).  Finally, I use a half quart of Rislone in mine when I change the oil and it keeps it quieter.  Use at your own risk, lest it releases a clump of grease and blocks an oil passage.  

It seems like every time I replace a set of lifters, I get one that's weak and is occasionally noisy on startup or at random other times.  My Corvair has one, my Mustang has one, my Special has one.  I chalk it up to modern manufacturing or my being an idiot somehow. :) 

Guest 1954 Buick

I had a noisy one on My '54, when I changed the oil, I added a bottle of Lucas oil treatment, cleared it right up

58 minutes ago, Aaron65 said:

I have one that occasionally ticks, especially when it's cold and/or has been sitting awhile, and mine's been rebuilt (and I cleaned out the rocker shaft).  The oiling system for the lifters on straight 8's is a little backward; it feeds the lifters from the rocker shaft down to the lifters, and it's kind of a trickle.  There are a few things you can do.  Check the rocker shaft and rocker arm passages to make sure they're clean (and you should if you're not sure).  Apparently, there's a small screen in the fitting where the oil filter line enters the head, and it can get plugged (mine never seemed to have that).  Finally, I use a half quart of Rislone in mine when I change the oil and it keeps it quieter.  Use at your own risk, lest it releases a clump of grease and blocks an oil passage.  

It seems like every time I replace a set of lifters, I get one that's weak and is occasionally noisy on startup or at random other times.  My Corvair has one, my Mustang has one, my Special has one.  I chalk it up to modern manufacturing or my being an idiot somehow. :) 

Aaron65,

Thank you for the advice.

20 minutes ago, 1954 Buick said:

I had a noisy one on My '54, when I changed the oil, I added a bottle of Lucas oil treatment, cleared it right up

1954 Buick,

Thank you for the tip.

Vintagecarguy.

Have you checked the valve clearance ?

My '40 (320) is set at .015"-.016" when hot. Spec is .015", but I would rather hear them than not.

Are yours solid lifters or hydraulic ? Sometimes Rislone can help the hydraulics.

Only help for solid lifters is proper adjustment.

Mike in Colorado

38 minutes ago, FLYER15015 said:

Have you checked the valve clearance ?

My '40 (320) is set at .015"-.016" when hot. Spec is .015", but I would rather hear them than not.

Are yours solid lifters or hydraulic ? Sometimes Rislone can help the hydraulics.

Only help for solid lifters is proper adjustment.

Mike in Colorado

Mike, thank you for the advice.

I am almost positive that it has hydraulic lifters. I keep hearing about Rislone.

Also, if I remember correctly, the motor was rebuilt, but was then out of the car for some time before being put back in, maybe this has something to do with it...

Thanks again. Gerald.

You might also consider pulling the valve cover and the side plate (behind the dist.). Then pull the rocker arm assy. Not a big job..........

That way you can see if your pushrods are straight. Mine had 2 rods bent quite badly, so valve lash adjustment was impossible.

Then you could pull the lifters out and give them a proper cleaning. Just KEEP TRACK of the hole they came out of, and the rods too.

There is comfort in knowing !!!!!!!!!!!

Mike in Colorado