1929 Buick 4dr Sedan

Guest rjoyner

Guest rjoyner

I have a 1929 Buick 4Dr sedan. It is Job No. 8440, Body No. 1379. It is a whole car with all original parts. Can anyone tell me what it may be worth? 

Guest rjoyner

My father bought it from a woman that I met through work, who had it in her basement for many years. She stated that it was running when her husband parked it there before he died. She stated that it had been sitting there for over twenty years. My dad has had it for about twenty years. It has never been even attempted to be started in all that time so I would consider it not running, but the motor and all drive train is whole and in tact. I took these pictures earlier but do not know what needs to be photographed for you to know more about it. My father gave it to me because I was the one that found it originally. The lady that we got it from advised that her husband has had it since it was new so as far as I know everything on the car matches and is original. It even has the pull down blinds inside each window that is seen through the back window.    

IMG_0823.JPG

IMG_0824.JPG

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0827.JPG

Need to know the model number. Model number is stamped on the data plate that says "Important" in your photo, on the gray rectangle about an inch down from the top and about an inch from the left margin. Rub some steel wool over it if you can't read it. If you still can't tell, then measure the wheelbase of the car, and we can figure out the model # or series from that. Buick had three different sizes or series in 1929. Another important determiner of value is the condition of the wood in the doors and body. Do the doors hang properly and close like a vault, or do they drop down when opened or shake when grabbed at the outer corner? If the wood is rotted, the car is worth very little, because wood replacement on one of these is a huge job. If it has been kept indoors and out of the weather all these years, then the wood is probably still good.

Pete Phillips

Leonard, Texas

I sold one last year for $5,500 that did run, the motors on these things are like a Swiss watch, they are easy to start and run well.  Get it running and you should be able to get around $5,500 to $6000

I have seen many of these 1929s like this. Also other collector cars of the time period. When I 20 something and was wanting one like this in the 1970s the scenario went like this. "Yeah sonny I bought it new and drove it till 1968 then put it in the garage. They had a parade with old cars in town so I fixed her up (Silver paint on all the bright work, plank running boards and Pontiac blue paint on the engine) and drove it a couple of times to the local parade. I had the local Buick, Chevy, Ford, Chrysler (depending on the make in question) dealer offered me a brand new car of my choice but I turned them all down." Then that damned oil embargo and gas prices went crazy. This thing really drinks gas. No. I ain't gonna sell it cause I'm gonna restore it some day"

There was a 29 Coupe that I chased down for several years that sold in similar condition, not running at a local auction in the 1980s for $2,500. It went to Carlisle for a $13,000 asking price. I saw it at several more flea markets over the years and believe the lowest price then was $6,500.

The first 40 or so years it was on the road. How well it was taken care of is of relative importance as to its existence. Although the last 20 years possibly with a cover in an open shed cancels much out.

Edited by dibarlaw (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

my uncle  had a 1934 Chevy i asked to buy it at least 7 times wile i watched it set in a filed in his back yard the thought crossed my mind to pore oil all over it to stop it from rusting away  now 30 years latter now its in my back yard . wish i pored some oil all over it when i was 16 asking to buy it .  kyle