1941 Buick old pumps, 248 interchange

Buicknutty

A friend of mine has recently bought a '41 Buick Special 4 door. I have not seen it, but it sounds like a decent car that hasn't been driven for some years. He and his Dad (a retired mechanic) dropped the oil pan to check things out, and part of the pick up and screen appears to have broken off. He was asking me if there are differences between the two engines, the 248 vs 320 and the parts book I have indicate that there are, and the illustration I sent him is a bit different.

So, here's the crux of the question, do all 248's, and even the 263's use the same pump? I believe so, but my info is not extensive enough, and we'd to confirm this with someone that has more practical knowledge of them than I. What are the differences to the 320 pump? Will any parts interchange?

Thank you.

Keith

Keith,

Here is the pump in my '40 series 90, 320 motor.

No "hot" oil pressure till I sanded the aluminum bottom plate smooth.

Clearance from the bottom plate to the gears should be .005" MAX.

Don't forget to clean the "brillo pad" in the oil pick up float.

Mike in Colorado

100_1220.jpg

100_1219.jpg

No, all 248 oil pumps are not the same.  They are the same from 1941-1953, so yes the 248 and 263 are the same.  However, the 1934-1940 oil pumps have smaller gears and should never be used.  These memory questions always come up when I'm in Virginia and don't have my books.  I think 1934-35 are the same pumps as 1936-37, so maybe I should have said 1936-1940.  Anyway, if you have the earlier years, be sure to use a 1941-1953 pump to improve your oil pressure.  I know this is slightly off the subject of the 1941 pump.  So, to answer your question, the good pump fits a 1941-53 248 and 263 engines, as well as earlier years.  I have 1941-53 pumps in all of the 1939 Buicks I've owned, and it is the first think I change.  Buick also put out a kit with a steel bottom plate to replace any and all of the 248 cid oil pumps with pot metal bottom plates.  That is also essential for good oil pressure.  The pot metal bottom plates would warp after (according to MoTor Magazine) about 35,000 miles causing the loss of oil pressure.  The 320 engines did not seem to suffer the same problem.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That's the harder part. I do not believe that anyone reproduces them, but repair parts are available. Fix the one you have or find another are your only choices, I think. If there is a place that does, perhaps someone will post the info.

Keith